Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux Mint with Intel board DG31PR  (Read 5304 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Linux Mint with Intel board DG31PR
    « on: November 25, 2010, 06:29:56 AM »
    I just installed Linux Mint on Intel board DG31PR and every thing works fine. I didn't install any drivers because they are for Windows OS. I went to Intel to get the drivers like I have in the past for other boards and I couldn't find any drivers for Linux. Every thing is working fine. Do I just go with it the way it Is?

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Linux Mint with Intel board DG31PR
    « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:43:37 AM »
    If everything is working, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 04:22:42 AM »
    Linux doesn't have "drivers" like Windows does. The Linux kernel gets set up at install time. Like JJ 3000 says, no need to worry.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »
    Linux doesn't have "drivers" like Windows does. The Linux kernel gets set up at install time. Like JJ 3000 says, no need to worry.

Well... it has Kernel Modules that can get "plugged-in"... I think that is what is referred to by the "proprietary drivers" window in many distros.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 04:37:34 PM »
      In the past when I installed Linux I went to Intel and down loaded drivers marked other or independent for Linux. Then I had to down load drivers for the video card, that never went well. So you are saying that no longer has to be dun? All the drivers are in Linux already? If that is the case great. Is that the same for video drivers?

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
      In the past when I installed Linux I went to Intel and down loaded drivers marked other or independent for Linux. Then I had to down load drivers for the video card, that never went well. So you are saying that no longer has to be dun? All the drivers are in Linux already? If that is the case great. Is that the same for video drivers?

That's really down to whether or not non-proprietary drivers are available.  If they are it will all be installed automatically, if not there will either be a facility that prompts you to download them or you will have to download them yourself.  This is often the case with graphics cards.