Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD ROM Drive Died  (Read 2601 times)

vickielr

CD ROM Drive Died
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:21:57 AM »
Hello,

I was in the middle of reformatting my hard drive with Windows XP and my CD Rom drive died.  So bought a new one and installed it but now it keeps going back to where the setup started but doesn't recognize my CD drive.  How do I get my computer to recognize the new drive so I can finish loading Windows?  Please help...I can't afford a new computer right now!  :'(

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: CD ROM Drive Died
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
Is this an internal or external drive? If external you could be dealing with USB driver issue. I had a similar issue with upgrading my Toshiba laptop back in 2003 with XP in which the Toshiba was one of the thin models with all drives plugged in externally to it, and all I had was a USB CD/DVD drive. Problem was that part way through the installation of XP, the microsoft driver is incorrect for the USB optical drive and it fails.

If this is an internal drive did you make sure that if its an IDE drive that you have the correct jumper setting for Master(M), Slave(S), or Cable Select (CS)?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: CD ROM Drive Died
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
You need to boot to the OS CD to resolve this issue...then continue witht the clean install...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "