Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard replacement  (Read 3214 times)

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Motherboard replacement
    « on: May 30, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »
    I need to replace my motherboard and have never done it. What do I need to do to preserve my data on my HD and what precautions do I need to take?
    Cojack

Maksim

Hopeful
      Re: Motherboard replacement
      « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:22:14 AM »
      If you can give us the Specifications of the mobo (motherboard) so we can help you..

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 10:49:16 AM »
        The existing MB is a Intel Seabreeze D845GVSR. I plan on replacing it with the same MB.
        Cojack

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:22:10 PM »
        Replacing with same motherboard.  What happened to the old one?  Just died?

Since you're Replacing with same the motherboard, if all goes well, your system would start up and run just the same as it did when your old motherboard was fully functional.  However, there's always a chance all will not go well.  The best thing to do to protect your data is to back it up on an external media (CD, DVD, flash drive, floppy disk, etc.).

Do you have a Windows CD in case you need to reinstall Windows?

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
          I have windows XP home
          Cojack

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:45:01 PM »
          Here is a lot of info. Be sure to groiund your self and make all connections exactly as they were (if the motherboard used to work OK). Draw pictures, make notes, whatever it takes. Take your time!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+install+motherboard

What happened to the old motherboard before you proceed, though?
          « Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 04:45:43 PM by GX1_Man »

cojack

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:03:30 PM »
            I have another post in which I mentioned that we went on a short vacation and unplugged the computer. Upon our return, we plugged in the computer and pressed the power button and nothing happened. No fans, beeps nothing. Just a green light on the MOBO. Swapped out the PSU, and CPU fan, replaced the CMOS batt, reseated RAM and checked the power switch for operation. After working with EMachines for awhile they said it was probably the MOBO. Recommended I take it to Best Buy (Geek Squad). After spending $56. for them to diagnose the problem, they said"Yup, looks like the MOBO!". This is my wife's computer and I thought she was backing everything up, especially Quicken, since that's where she does all her finances. I tried to read her backup CD in my comuter and it was blank. So, I need to know how to swap out the MOBO without losing her data. Can't backup with bad MOBO.
            Cojack

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 05:08:34 PM »
            The motherboard shoulld not affect the contents of the hard drive. If you were using a different motherboard, there would be issues with the WIndows install on there, but the data should be fine. In your case, with an identical board, this is a non-issue.