Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Book  (Read 2219 times)

McGuire

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Network Book
    « on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »
    Hello:

Can you suggest a good book to learn networking?  I may or may not want to take the Comptia Network exam so I'm not so much looking for a study guide as I am a good beginner networking book.

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Network Book
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:45:30 PM »
    There are many books out there. Some focus on communication protocols. I liked the Network+ book which is a study guide for comptia Network+ Cert, but it might be more info than you ever wanted to know and dry..lol There are a bunch of college level workbooks out there for Intro to Networking which have labs, such as my Intro to Networking by Mcgraw Hill. You could do the Peer-to-Peer labs in your home if you have more than one computer or want to play with virtual systems. If you want to create a cheap network with servers, I'd check into Linux OS such as Ubuntu Server etc. You can also load VMware environment on your system and have a bunch of fake virtual servers and run it all on one well spec'd system if you dont have multiple systems to install OS to to simulate networks and play around to get hands on training which is I feel better than book training, because hands on you learn more on how to apply the knowledge. I say check out a book store and flip through what they have. You know what you want pretty much. There are also tons of FREE online books and sites.

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Network Book
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:18:32 AM »
      I always find the "for dummies" range really good to get a basic foundation on, and then move on to things like study guides or O'Reilly books.