Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PS3 backup utility  (Read 4180 times)

Mulreay

Topic Starter

Egghead
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Space and Science
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
PS3 backup utility
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »
As some may know. I've been trying to backup my PS3 onto my 1tb HDD but it was not working. I found the solution.. kinda. The ps3 can only back up to a FAT32 format and not NTFS. You may think... oh well just re-format a partition say 150gb to FAT32 but you would run into a minefield. Windows will NOT format a partition/drive any bigger than (some say 2gb, others 4gb). Other's swear they have done 60gb... who knows, but I can tell you now it aint doing 150gb. I tried a CMD prompt attempt using  'format (Drive letter): /FS:FAT32'  this started up and even stated 'formatting 1500000m' so I was like yeah! Then it stopped part way through with an error. 'File to large'.
I then went about half way round the internet reading lots of nonsense to find a program.

http://www.compuapps.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112:swiss-knife-v322&catid=48:drive-managment&Itemid=193

Ran this program and within 30secs I had a fully FAT32 formatted partition of 150gb.

Now I just need my PS3 to pack in again with a YLOD to force me to buy a new one... but atleast all my important saves/data is backed up.

Just a tail of the nightmare I went through just to back this pile of poop up. Plus now I can run media off it from my laptop, which is cool as I like to listen to music and iTunes tends to be a resource hog, especially when playing games like minecraft.
For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost,
But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay