Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to skip bios setup w/o keyboard (usb/ps2)  (Read 13336 times)

mei_anz

how to skip bios setup w/o keyboard (usb/ps2)
« on: June 23, 2004, 12:25:02 AM »
can somebody help me...my pc is stuck in the bios setup and i cannot make any configuration coz my ps/2 keyboard is a major fatal error. i cant use my usb keyboard coz i didnt set usb keyboard support for POST execution or for bios configuration. Please help me!!! Im desperate!!! If you have an idea how to configure usb keyboard support thru motherboards, please do help me...by the way, my motherboard type is ASUS TUV4X. tnx!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: how to skip bios setup w/o keyboard (usb/ps2)
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 12:40:26 AM »
    mei-anz.....unless I'm missing something......why dont you just get a new p/s 2 keyboard .......they're cheap and your problem is solved.
    Have you been to the ASUS site to check the manual for your motherboard ?
    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

Good luck

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

chade

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:32:25 PM »
    Another option if your computer is as you say 'stuck in the BIOS setup' is just to power off.  No harm should befall your computer.

USB keyboard support is configured through....the BIOS  ;D but seriously, plug it in and try it.  Most motherboards will support USB keyboards entry into and function within the BIOS even if your BIOS is currently set to USB keyboard support disabled.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 07:00:15 PM »
    use your normal k/board<ps2> to boot and then add the new one and use the f/disk driver disk that came with the usb k/board done...is this win98?

mei anz

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 01:47:55 AM »
    dl65,chade,merlin...tnx for your time and suggestion. its that, i have already done all of those you suggested. before i found this site, i made a research in my motherboard type as well as how BIOS work.

i already did bought a new PS/2 keyboard just to test my pc but it still didnt work out. i even brought it to a computer shop and we tested so many keyboards like less than 10 of them. thats why i thought of buying USB keyboard and still, im stuck with this problem.

i tried doing the fdisk thing but the problem is, before it detects my disk in my floppy, it goes first to BIOS and there im stuck again.

i have research about USB support on most BIOS. my motherboard manual also stated that its default setting in USB keyboard support is AUTO. But i guess what im encountering here is the other way around. Funny as it is, my problem really sounds so easy but then all the best solution i could think of and what others have to say doesnt work at all.

if you still have other suggestions, please do tell me. heres the details of my "stuck with BIOS thing" problem:
    - my ps/2 port is badly damaged. i mean, the area where the ps/2 port is sitting in the motherboard is badly damaged. the tiny connections that you can see on that area is impossible to connect. i guess thats because i allow the technician to remove the port and replace it with a working one and the circuits are now destroyed. so theres no way my ps/2 port will work.
    -so i thought of finding other solutions using USB keyboard. though i can retrieve it back if only my usb keyboard support setting is enabled but then it doesnt detect my usb keyboard.

i guess my story problem seems to be very long now. if ever you have anymore ideas of solution to my problem please do share. thanks and more power!!!

mei anz

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 02:07:06 AM »
      mei_anz....You forgot to tell us....

"i guess thats because i allow the technician to remove the port and replace it with a working one and the circuits are now destroyed. so theres no way my ps/2 port will work."

How about the same technicians damaged the USB port as well ?
      You may have to replace the motherboard.
      Good luck

dl65  ???

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

chade

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:51:06 PM »
      Hmm.  I'm not sure what your chances are of having it work - but if a computer Tech fuxored your board I'd say he oweds you a new one.

If your USB port is indeed stuffed as dl65 guessed, you _may_ be able to get it to work using an add-in USB card and a USB keyboard (I can't remember hearing of add-in PS/2 cards) but this may not work at the BIOS level.  Since the tech fuxored your board, I'd guess he owes it to you to try this much free of charge.

But I'd be buying a new motherboard - or convincing the tech to buy me one (or go halves?) anyway.  Ports that don't work aren't exactly a good thing to have.

MalikTous

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 12:19:46 PM »
      I'm using a CUV4X ASUS myself. One thing I noticed with this MB is that it sometimes has trouble with the PS2 mouse connection, I think the 'fuse' to the KB and mouse port power may be a little lame. It works OK on this old MS scroll mouse but I'd rather run a big trackball, and the board won't recognise one of those.

If you use the CMOS Reset pins, it should clear any shut off USB settings in the BIOS and let you boot with a USB keyboard. You may have to use the 'front' USB port connections and adapter cable if your 'technician' friend diddled the rear-panel ones out of kilter.

I'd have him provide you a nice fully-functional MB of similar functionality (and preferably the same model) and use that one with the buggered KB port himself. And he should give you a nice 20GB slave HD for your trouble...