Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Getting rid of taskbar icons  (Read 2387 times)

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Getting rid of taskbar icons
    « on: February 03, 2011, 11:15:04 AM »
    Me and my mate are two old codgers who get along reasonably well with computers, help each other out whenever we can, but come up with some stumbling blocks now and again, would like to fix them, but don't want to upset the apple cart and screw the systems up. Hopefully, you wont need to know our exact XP setups as this is a general question sort of, l think?
    - Oh, and we both have adsl, but with my modem connected to the computer, whereas he has wi-fi.
    So, the taskbar, bottom right, has an array of icons that show upon startup. I have just two and he has millions of the things?
    His wi-fi icon shows as a terminal with two eclipses next to it, but there are also TWO twin terminals with a red cross next to each. There is also a bluetooth icon (blue lozenge shape with a white lightning stike through it).
    None of these mean anything so why are they showing and how do we get rid of?
    Thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Getting rid of taskbar icons
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »
    Have him post a screenshot of the taskbar and we can advise which ones can safely be removed...
    In the meantime both should DLoad and install StartupCPL from Mike Lin...
    It installs a small app in Control Panel for managing startup items....

Do NOT disable anything if you don't know what it is.

PS i believe the 2nd network icon is for wired.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

willythecat

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Getting rid of taskbar icons
      « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
      Thanks Patio, and l always respect your advice.
      Bit difficult to get to sync between the two of us (me and him that is - miles apart), but hear what you say and will at least download startupCPL.
      Have dealt with you before (in the nicest possible way l hasten to add!) so thank you for taking the time to relpy.
      Will post back as and when we get some further details.
      Kind Regards