Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: disappearing Workgroup computers  (Read 2197 times)

osmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Without pain... There is no Love...
    • Experience: Familiar
    disappearing Workgroup computers
    « on: March 23, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
    Hello all,
      I have a computer that I just formatted to windows 7 and made sure it was fully updated on a laptop. I made sure I have set it to "home" network, and that the workgroup is the same name. Still no dice at seeing the other computers. so I mapped a folder on one of the computers as a network drive, that worked, and then all of the sudden, BAM I can see all the computers on my home network! Then I restarted the computer and was back at square one, not seeing anything :(  ??? Now this morning my wife calls me and tells me that not even the mapped drives are working! I had her turn off the Firewall, and still no go.
       I am so frustrated,
           Let me know if there is any other info I can give you.
      PS it was formatted under windows XP, and I was having the same issue. 

Could it be hardware?  All of the other computers I have on that router work, and network fine, other then this one...

pnadon

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: disappearing Workgroup computers
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:58:33 AM »
      Sounds like it may be hardware. What is the manufacturer of the laptop?

I assume that it is an on-board NIC. I would try a USB NIC to see if it does the same thing.

osmo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Without pain... There is no Love...
        • Experience: Familiar
        Re: disappearing Workgroup computers
        « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:44 AM »
        I am using wireless, it is a gateway laptop, about 3 years old... would a wireless adapter do that kind of things? I may take one in and see if there is a difference.  Thanks for the advice.
           it just feels like I am missing a check box somewhere...  I went into the advanced sharing options and and turned on file sharing to everyone..  but still nothing..
         Oh I almost forgot to mention, the internet works fine thru all of this..