Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with internet setup  (Read 2624 times)

Momof5boys

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help with internet setup
    « on: February 18, 2011, 07:25:39 AM »
    Okay I'll try to make a long story short.
    I have satelite internet and have it hooked to my laptop.  I tried to change it to my desktop and it will hookup BUT Internet Explorer CONTINUES to say it can not display webpage.  I figured out that I was using AOL and then it allowed me to connect.  I do not want to use the AOL so I removed it from my computer.  Internet Explorer will still not work.  That is the first problem.
    The second problem is...I bought a wireless router and it worked fine with my laptop.  Then I set up a password for the wireless and removed the AOL from the desktop and NOW the wireless will not work for my laptop and the desktop will show a connection and will be pinging but it will not display the webpage.
    I have spent 2 hours each with both the satelite company and the router company and both have said it has to do with my computer....Well of course the computer company wants major $$$$$ cause it's out of warranty!  PLEASE HELP!  It is really difficult having 7 of us and 1 computer that will work with the internet!
    Thank you!

Momof5boys

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Help with internet setup
      « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »
      Okay I forgot this one last thing....
      When I hook the cable into the desktop and try to use my laptop wirelessly it ALSO says Internet Explorer can not load webpage.  And still my wireless is showing that it is working and pinging.  Then when I hook the cable back in to the laptop the Internet Explorer works fine.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »
      Does it still browse hooked to the laptop?  Hook the modem to the laptop only.

Here is a possible reason why.

Your computer has a hardware address called a MAC that never changes, and therefore uniquely identifies your computer. When your Internet Service Provider sets up your connection, they register your computer’s MAC address with their system. From that point on, your computer must identify to their system with its MAC in order to be allowed access to the Internet. Since your computer’s MAC is a unique address, any router that you might later set up as an intermediary between your broadband modem and computer(s) will have a different MAC. Your router’s MAC will be unknown to your ISP, and so they may deny Internet connectivity to your router.

What router are you using?

"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Momof5boys

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »
        I'm sorry it took so long..I had a virus.
        The router I'm using is Netgear. 

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
        Hope you got the virus issue resolved.

Remove the router plug the laptop via cable directly into the modem does it still browse?
        Now do the same with the desktop does it browse?
        Now put the router back on and do the same via cable.  Then try the Wireless.

Power on order.
        Unable to connect to internet or ISP on initial setup
        http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1167/kw/power%20on%20order

Since you stated that it runs off the laptop that should be the one we need to spoof.
        No Internet with New Router, Computer, or Adapter: MAC Spoofing
        http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086/kw/mac%20address

How to Find an Ethernet Adapter's MAC Address
        http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1005/kw/mac%20address
        "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."