Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Screen and Hard Drive  (Read 1736 times)

Safety_First

Laptop Screen and Hard Drive
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:07:13 PM »
Hey. I have two major problems with my laptop that I'd like some advice on :( .
Firstly - after not turning on my laptop for a couple of weeks (the charger was broke) when I did finally get a new charger and turned my laptop on: the screen was broke - lots of lines, some areas of the screen jumbled and moving up and down, however there is no external crack. I tried to get the laptop repaired on warranty - but they told me it was my fault and after seeing pictures I send to them said that it was  AN INTERNAL CRACK IN THE SCREEN. I've phoned around and been quoted around 100 pounds for a replacement screen and repair however I told the repair guys that my screen was 'cracked' and did not specify that the crack was internal. Would this make a difference? Can my laptop screen still be repaired?

Second problem: I have not used this laptop in a while due to the fact that Windows 7 blue screened and refused to boot back up - some files were corrupted or missing - and told me to insert the installation disk (which I didn't make >.< I know schoolboy error) . After a while I burned an ubuntu iso to a disk and booted from that - however  I partitioned the drive wrong. Being honest I'm very inexperienced with technical matters like this and I'm pretty sure ubuntu asked me if it could 'unmount' the drive  and I clicked OK. After that - the hard drive cannot be found - not in the system diagnostics at boot time or in ubuntu, I've tried taking the HDD out and putting it back in again - my computer cannot find it at all. Have I just broken my hard-drive for good ? :( I'm using the laptop now from an ubuntu 10.10 CD .

Sorry for the long winded-post.
Thanks.

(HP Compaq 615)