Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCSI CD Rom Device with IDE Hard Disk Drive conflicting?  (Read 4315 times)

Bunami

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    SCSI CD Rom Device with IDE Hard Disk Drive conflicting?
    « on: March 18, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
    Hi there

The reason I'm asking this question is I have just brought some new PC Games (Mass Effect 1 and 2) and every time I insert the disc to begin installation my computer fails to read the CD, the tray freezes up, the CD Rom light stays on and I cannot even shutdown my computer. I have to manually turn off and then at system start up I am then able to remove the CD from the Drive.

I have just reinstalled some older games (Company of Heroes/Elder Scrolls/Imperium Galactium) and had no issues at all in getting a Disc read and full install with those games.

This is very frustrating because if my computer has no problem reading these discs then why would there be an issue with the new discs?

My Hard Disk Drive is a: ST3200822AS which is listed as an IDE interface and my CD Rom Drive is a: ASUS DRW-2014L1 SCSI which obviously is listed as an SCSI interface. Could that be causing a possible conflict?

I haven't been able to locate any update drivers for my CD Rom device, I also ran the Device Manager install updates option and was informed that I was running the latest drivers. I've tried surfing the web using Google with my CD Rom Drive name, didn't get any hits relating to other people having trouble with disc reads, so I have now stumbled onto this site in my hopes for a possible explanation or even a 'fix' to my dilemma =P

Basic system info is:

Windows XP Professional
    SP3
    RAM 4GB
    Radeon HD 4800
    ATI High Def Audio

Please let me know if you want to see any other or more detailed system specs

Thanks in advance

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SCSI CD Rom Device with IDE Hard Disk Drive conflicting?
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:11:14 AM »
    my CD Rom Drive is a: ASUS DRW-2014L1 SCSI which obviously is listed as an SCSI ...

From reading our post, it is not a hardware or driver or system problem.  Your CD-ROM is working fine.

The problem is with the new games you have. Either the discs are defective or they have a draconian copy protection scheme. You did buy original discs, right? The copy protection does not allow SCSII drives. Don't ask me how I know. I am making a guess. There is a strong reason for my guess.

Bunami

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:17:33 AM »
      Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

As far as I know they are perfectly legitimate discs, I brought them from a reputable gaming company brand new out of the box.

Good to know there are no conflict issues with my set up. I'll get onto the company I brought them from and see what they have to say.

Thanks again

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:18 AM »
      It isn't a SCSI drive. The fact that it is listed as such by the OS is a quirk. It is either IDE or SATA (That model was available for either interface) I suspect defective disks.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
      Theres also the possibility that the CD laser is fine but the DVD laser is shot...
      This would explain why older games still load up...

To test this try a factory Movie DVD in there...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "