Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Excel 2007  (Read 2060 times)

turbo_stella

Help with Excel 2007
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
Hiya,

I am fairly new to using Excel. I have a spreadsheet which include non-numerical data.

I have four columns of data, and each field contains either a 'yes' 'no' or 'n/a'

I want to plot this on a bar chart, preferably in clusters of three bars for each response, so in total I will have four clusters of three bars.

How do I do this??? I can create a bar chart using numerical data, but I can't work out how to do it for the data I need to plot!!

Can anyone help pleeeeease?

Base2

Beginner
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help with Excel 2007
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
    Hi there,

I've put guide lines below for how you can do this.  Please copy your excel to another location and save it under a different name first.  This way if anything goes wrong you won't lose any original data.  The steps below will work for Microsoft Excel 2007 and 2010... which this is based on.

If you get stuck let me know by either replying to this post or via a pm (private message) or both probably.  That way if I'm a little slow replying someone else here might be able to pick it up and help you too.

Happy Excelling :-)

Guide Lines

Underneath the data use another three fields as follows:

Yes
    No
    N/a

Inside the fields next to it (to the right) insert the following formula as below:

=COUNTIF(A1:A17,"Yes")
    =COUNTIF(A1:A17,"No")
    =COUNTIF(A1:A17,"N/A")

After you enter the formula just hit enter or click on another field.  Inside the field it will now show a number.

The number shown will be telling you how many yes or no or n/a there are in that particular column.

so for example this will now look something like this:

Yes 5
    No  6
    N/a 7

Now on to getting the pie chart.

Highlight the cells that will have your data as below remember the numbers will differ to the data below as you will probably have different amounts of yes, no's and n/a's.

Yes 5
    No  6
    N/a 7

Once you have them highlighted click on Insert at the top.  This should now change the ribbon, which you see all your fonts and things on.  You will now see other options and with the data now still highlighted click on either Pie or Bar.

This will now put the data into a pie chart or a bar.  Once you have one open and your data will be automatically put on there for you.  Hover over the chart and you will see the words yes, no, n/a on the chart along with the number of how many of them there are.

REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY FOR ONE COLUMN... YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DO THE STEPS AGAIN FOR THE OTHER COLUMNS!  :-)

What you could do is use the formula to calculate each yes, no, n/a and get the numbers you need.  Then total them together so your data would be bigger.

Yes 50
    No 60
    N/A 70

Then do the pie or bar chart for this info

Hope this helps you!!

Base2