Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Native Resolution of monitor  (Read 3232 times)

richesson

Native Resolution of monitor
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »
I purchased a Lenova H320. I want to purchase a 20 inch (no larger) monitor to use. The newer 16:9 20 inch monitors all have a native resolution of 1600 x 900. The Lenova graphics system does not list this resolution. I plan to use the DVI connection. Literature says that monitors need to be used at their native res. or they may distort or blur the pix. So what can or should I do?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Native Resolution of monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »
I ran into an issue with a 20" wide screen and video games. The games graphics were squashed to conform to widescreen. I ended up giving this display to my wife and I ended up buying a samsung 19" regular flat screen non-widescreen that I can have 1024x768 without issues as well as 800x600 for some older 10 year old games. But the 19" was 2.5 times the price of a $119.00  20" widescreen. When trying to get the 20" screen to conform to normal 1024x768 game graphics it looked like a 14" display operating with lots of wasted screen on both sides.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Native Resolution of monitor
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:38:17 PM »
The Lenova graphics system does not list this resolution.

That simply means your <current> monitor cannot use that resolution. The Display settings only shows modes your monitor can display. Somewhere deep in display properties you can shut that off and list all supported video modes, I think, but it's been a while since I've had to do that.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.