Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I don't want to throw my camera away  (Read 4927 times)

Eighthnote

Topic Starter

Rookie

I don't want to throw my camera away
    « on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »
    Hey folks, Simple problems should have simple solutions. Here it is. I have an older Sony digital camera that uses the small Mini CD's. I love this camera. It's a little bulky but it is versatile and takes a great pic. I've upgraded to a new (newer) laptop and it does not have a CD tray. Therefore I cannot load the Minis into the slot. I need a USB CD drive that can read the Minis. I have a XPS Studio 1640. Windows 7......blah,blah,blah. Right now I have to take my CD to work and load the pics on a flash drive. It's not that bad of an inconvenience but I would love to just have an external CD. Thanks in advance if you could poit me to a site where I can buy one that will work with windows 7. ..............

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I don't want to throw my camera away
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »
    Any external CD/DVD  with a try will work.
    What laptop does not have a tray?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:10:06 PM »
    What laptop does not have a tray?

ASUS EeePCs, MacBook Airs, Acer Aspire Ones, Toshiba Minis, Dell Inspiron Duos, Acer Iconias... pretty much any laptop designed to be thin and light, any netbook, and most tablets.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:10:27 AM »
    ASUS EeePCs, MacBook Airs, Acer Aspire Ones, Toshiba Minis, Dell Inspiron Duos, Acer Iconias... pretty much any laptop designed to be thin and light, any netbook, and most tablets.
    Wow! I had no idea. Anybody buying a notebook  take note.  Hard to believe. And the CD will get stuck inside and you can't get it out. IMO, poor design.

Below is a list of external drives that have trays. One is a top loader. Most are  powered by the USB cable alone. New egg has a good reputation.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=420&name=External-CD-DVD-Drives

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:22:32 AM »
    Wow! I had no idea.

Mini CDs and (some) slot loading optical drives don't mix. This is pretty common knowledge. Just lately you seem to be posting "Hey! I had no idea about this!" type posts about a number of things that everybody else heard about years ago. Slot drives that can read mini CDs are around. Some Apples have them and I believe Wiis.

Or you can buy one or more adapter rings. Just like the ones Sony used to supply with the cameras. I think they cost about $10.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:16:03 AM »
    Wow! I had no idea. Anybody buying a notebook  take note.  Hard to believe. And the CD will get stuck inside and you can't get it out. IMO, poor design.

The point is those laptops don't have CD drives at all, not just trays.

The particular laptop this person has is slot loading.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 03:38:46 AM »

No CD will "get stuck inside". They don't have trays, and they don't have slots either, because they don't have CD drives. Not poor design. Poor comprehension (by you.)

[EDIT] Sorry quaxo, didn't see your post.

Eighthnote

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
      Thanks everyone for your insight. I'm on a quest to find a USB only external CD. I do not like the "adapter" solution. Just something else to keep track of and to go wrong inside my LT. Happy Mother's day to all you Moms out there. Play nice...........