Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: old computer /new computer  (Read 3127 times)

lightninganth

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    old computer /new computer
    « on: August 12, 2011, 07:44:27 AM »
    At the small business I work for on the side,they purchased a new Dell computer with Win 7 installed and also purchased a Western Digital USB hard drive for backup transfers etc.The old Gateway computer(probably purchased in the late 1990's)has Windows 98 installed.(It took a while before we remembered that one computer has FAT32 file system,and the other NTFS).The old computer has a few (8 or 9 )spreadsheet/list type files that we wish to keep.When we plugged the external Hard drive into the USB ports it did not recognize the drive.It won't recognize USB anything-thumb drive,stick etc.

Is it worth trying to get the USB to recognize the drive so we can attempt to copy the info over?How much of a problem is the two different file systems?It doesn't seem that the USB is turned on -is it wort trying to turn it on and find /upgrade drivers?The old machine was used as a word processor and has never been used on line at all.It also has an antique  copy of Word where the spreadsheets are located.

The biggest question of all,should we try any of this or are we down to copying these lists over by hand?It would take a long time,but it could be done.

Thanks so much.

truenorth

Guru

Re: old computer /new computer
      « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
      Welcome to the CH forums. Many computers with win 98 have a problem reading flash drives on a win 98 operating system. I have one that will read them but i have to follow a protocol to do so (i cannot just insert it into a USB port and use it). However it occurs to me that you should be able to transfer the files to a cd disc via a cd burner and then read/transfer them to your newer computer. From a recent question i asked re the file system (fat32/NTSF) compatibility i was informed that NTSF can read Fat32  but not the other way around. So you shouldn't have an issue there. truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:30:23 PM »
      From a recent question i asked re the file system (fat32/NTSF) compatibility i was informed that NTSF can read Fat32  but not the other way around.

You were advised of nonsense, as I noted in that thread, but with no reply from the "adviser". File systems do not read file systems. Computers read file systems. You can have a mixture of FAT and NTFS file systems on a computer. You can copy or move files freely between them, in either direction with one major restriction: the largest file size possible on FAT32 is 4 GB (one byte less, to be pedantic) so any operation which attempts to place a larger file on a FAT32 filesystem will fail.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
      Also, Windows 9x family (95, 98, 98SE, ME) operating systems do not natively read NTFS volumes, (and cannot boot from them) but they can be made to see and use NTFS volumes by installing third party drivers. Likewise, there are some generic Windows 98 USB mass storage device drivers available that work with most external drives.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
        ST, Thank you for the reminder i do remember your comments re what you have just said.To the o/p you can disregard my references to ANY issue re the different file systems compatibility. I haven't used the win98 computer in quite a while (but it is still available) but again due to ST's comment here i do remember that i did have to install some device drivers before i could use the flash drive and it also seems that i need to something else in the insertion protocol for it to be recognized. Have you tried my suggestion re the burning of the files to a cd burnable disc? truenorth
        P.S. Given that the fat32 files will be on the win98 computer there is no issue with that computer and NTSF files

Lisa_maree

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »
        A couple of ideas, perhaps get a usb to ide adapter and remove the drive from the gateway and then plug it into the usb on the Dell. Perhaps network the 2 computers. If the files are small and the gateway has email just email them and receive them on the dell. Or if the gateway has a cd writer write the files to cd.

Just some thoughts  :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53:06 PM »
        Yet another idea. Windows 98 recognized a number of generic Ethernet cards. Install one and set up a connection between the computers.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:33 PM »
        Generic USB Mass storage drivers for Windows 98 and Windows 98SE:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

I have it installed on my Pentium 133Mhz laptop, and it works well.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lightninganth

Topic Starter

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »
          Thank you all for the replies.as its the weekend,I won't be able to try anything until the start of the week.I will post back with the results.Thanks again.