Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound  (Read 2240 times)

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

No sound
    « on: August 13, 2011, 09:44:08 AM »
    Got a new computer, gave the old one to our daughter, now I'm unable to get the speakers to work.  There isn't even the windows start up tune. Windows XP professional, SP3. I've checked the mute button, ok, when i go to admin tools, and under sounds and devices, I can't get anything from the speakers.  The directions from the device help file says to push the play button, but none exists.  The speakers did work on her old machine.  I have a sound blaster card in there, things seem fine. what can i check next?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: No sound
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:59:12 AM »
    Got a new computer,
    Where did you get it? Is it a laptop? Under warranty?
    Laptops have funny ways of doing the volume control. On mine, there are three of four ways to stop the sound from coming out of the speakers. Maybe more. Is there a volume control in the tray in the lower right corner?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems
    The link from microsoft is for Vista system, but typically they are the same.

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:48:22 AM »
      It's an older Compac desktop model.  I'm looking into the link posted, and I'll see if it helps, thanks.

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:37:27 AM »
        The computer is not on the internet any more so the link doesn't work on this machine.  I've tried reloading the soundblaster CD but it didn't help.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:26:43 AM »
        Check your device manager specifically the sound adapter for any yellow marks or flags. Is there any? Post the complete product model of your sound card. You mentioned speakers, what about the computer or monitor speakers, does it produce any audio?

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
          The device manager shows no yellow or red flags everything is "working properly" like always.  the original speakers do not work either so it must be a computer problem.  I've double checked the jack in the back to make sure it's plugged into the right place, Okay.  Also tried the other jacks, no help.  There is no sound from the computer it doesn't have speakers.  This is a sound blaster 24 bit.  It did work when I moved mthe computer.  I'm going to try and get it to speak using the speech icon on the control panel.

earmic

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:47 PM »
            After poking around some more, I see there are two sets of jacks on the back, one for mouse, keyboard and something, and another set for the sound blaster card.  I had it plugged into the keyboard jack... when I moved it to the sound blaster ports, it works... am I getting old or what?  Thank you for the help...problem solved, daughter happy...