Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on and need second opinion.  (Read 2517 times)

JetPoweredFenixx

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer won't turn on and need second opinion.
    « on: August 07, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
    Hello,

I'm pretty good with computers but running out of ideas and patience for the problem that I have been having today. I built an almost entirely new desktop this week and spent a lot of time on it, making sure the RAM was working properly and so forth. During this time, I used the ASUS Overclocking Autotuner to overclock my system. I've never overclocked before but assuming that the motherboard's programming knew what it was doing. This afternoon I started play The Witcher 2 and during my playtime, the computer shut off and now it won't turn back on again. I assumed that the processor overheated and waited a bit and hit the power only to have nothing happen. I opened it up and the RAM felt a bit hot so I waited some more and try again and got nothing. I've pretty much taken it apart and put it back together again only to keep having the same issue. What happens is that when I turn off the power supply and turn it back on, the first time I try to turn on the computer, one of my front fan's LED will pop on the off and the computer is dead. I've tried clearing CMOS and took out all unimportant parts and still the same thing. The green power LED on the motherboard is always on when the power supply is on. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the motherboard, the processor, or the power supply. The real question is which is it? I've read that the processor is least likely since it has overheating protection and shouldn't get damaged that quickly. Like I said, the MOBO power light is on, so that somewhat eliminates the power supply, but since the front case fan is plugged into the power supply directly, shouldn't it at least stay on? Any ideas or is it what I fear, and the MOBO is shot?

Specs:
    ASUS P7F7-E WS Supercomputer Motherboard
    Intel i7
    450W PSU
    6GB Ram
    Nvidia 1GB Card
    rest don't really make much difference.

Thanks for any replies.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer won't turn on and need second opinion.
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
    The MOBO power light is on only means the +5V to the motherboard is on.  Fans spinning means +12V is functioning.  How exactly did you clear the CMOS?  Some require removing battery and shorting 2 pins on the header.

JetPoweredFenixx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »
      I first had moved the pin header and switched it to the reset position and switched it back and it didn't seem like it did anything. I just took the cmos battery out and waited a few seconds and put it back in and got nothing either.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »
      You've got it reversed, pull the battery, then move the jumper for a few seconds, then move it back.

JetPoweredFenixx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »
        Oh gotcha, watched some video on youtube on reseting CMOS and must of heard it wrong. So, I did it again and am still getting nowhere. I even switched video cards just to make sure the power supply wasn't supplying enough watts, and still nothing.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
        Try minimum configuration:  CPU, 1-RAM stick, keyboard, monitor.  No drives.  It should boot to BIOS because nothing is connected to boot to.
        Did you apply sufficient thermal paste to the cpu/heatsink?

JetPoweredFenixx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »
          Ok, tried the minimum and still got nothing. As for the thermal paste, its on there but I guess it could be a bit less that should be, but even so, the comp should turn on at least. It was running before fine until today for about a week, so I can't see the thermal paste being an issue.

Lisa_maree

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »
          Hi

I would try a replacement supply. It's always good to have a 600 to 700 watt power supply that you know is capable off it's rated wattage as a reference. And for your computer I would install at least a 500 watt supply.

Lisa

newbed

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »
            This site has some basic steps you can take if your computer won't power up.  http://blog.smartcomputing.us/computers-power-turn/