Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Seeking a program capable of recording ongoing bids on a auction page to a log  (Read 3042 times)

gofurthe

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    The only software I can locate that saves a ongoing stream of data on a web page are the 100's that record media but I would like to record or save the continuous update of text data.
    More specifically the application would be capable of monitoring a auction page where the continuing bids are to be saved to a logfile.
    In this case the webpage only progressively displays the last 10bids with bidders names.
    So, I would like to engage the application in the event I were to leave my PC so that a record of all the bids with bidders names made over a period of time until the auction is completed can be kept for analysis.

Its seems to be an elementary task but I'm stumped on where to locate a program capable of this goal
    Thank you in advance for all suggestions!

truenorth

Guru

I wonder how you would handle the fact that it would require a "refresh" of the page in order to "update" the progress of the ongoing nature of the auction (which may or may not change a particular bid). It would seem to me that IF such a program does exist or could function it would have to be at the web site location of the particular auction where conceivably there does exist a continuous monitoring and updating of the changes (bids/users/time/etc.) truenorth

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      I seriously doubt there is an app out there that can do this...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      I'm not sure, but you can probably add the item to your watch list, and then create an RSS feed of that item. Then you can use any tool designed to watch RSS feeds.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

BC, Except that i get the impression that the O/P wants to monitor them all in real time. Plus be able to record/store them as they change.truenorth

gofurthe

Topic Starter

Thanks guys for your input that seemingly can be interpreted as not such a straight forward issue as I believed it  was!

I guess the only way round this is to be as specific as possible therefore may I post a link to the specific website where you could see exactly what my request actually entails.
          This auction site is one of the South African versions of what you folk will know as the controversial Pay to Bid penny type auctions such as Quibids.com.

Here is a link to a currently live auction :http://www.za.smokoo.com/auctions/smokoo_ipad2_64gb_wifi_27dc70 .
          Looking at the page on the RHS you see the last 10 bids. Now if I were to arrive at a auction item a couple of hours after the start I would like to be able to review all the bidders that have participated up to that point.

Certain bidders adopt personal strategies and if I could review the entire compliment of bidders and the amount of bids respective bidders had already placed, this would allow me to be more in tune with the trend to make an educated guess when or when not to place my bids going forward./

Consequently the application would be activated at a set time and up till the point the auction is finished or I stop the recording , the application would have to save to a file the continuous stream of dynamic data representing the bidders names pertaining to that specific auction page.

I hope this additional information would allow someone with a broad knowledge of software programming if there be an application that could handle this operation!

Once again any contribution even if its a regrettable confirmation that the function would not be possible will be highly appreciated .
          Thank you !