Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop crash after installing Windows Vista updates  (Read 3818 times)

kelsyhb

Topic Starter

Starter

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Laptop crash after installing Windows Vista updates
    « on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »
    Okay, so, quick background: my Dell Inspiron 1525 (running Vista) abruptly stopped working back in January--literally was working fine until I shut it down, went on vacation, and came back and Vista wouldn't boot. Waited seven months and had it repaired in August and apparently there was a virus on it.

It's been running fine and yesterday I purchased ESET NOD32 Antivirus software because I'm not a fan of McAfee and Norton was a bit too expensive (I only needed one license, not three), and I had a notification from ESET saying my operating system is not up to date. It suggested I install some updates, which I can list in another post if I need to, because about 10 minutes after I installed these updates, my computer crashed. Just died randomly. I turned it on only for it to crash again, kept trying in desperation, and finally was prompted to do a system restore to a previous time when Vista was working properly. Now I have this prompt to install the updates again but I'm afraid that these are what caused the crash.

The last time my computer abruptly shut off like that, it was because I had it on my bed and it was overheated, but this time it was on my desk so there was a bit of air flow circulating underneath, and I don't know a lot about computers but it was the operating system that needed repairing, not time to cool down.

Mulreay

Egghead
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Space and Science
    Re: Laptop crash after installing Windows Vista updates
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
    I personally would say that you NEVER install "windows updates" just because a third party program tells you to. That's up to Microsoft to bother you with messages not an anti-virus software.
    Windows auto-update will keep your computer with the latest updates... not sure why a third party software would find some that windows would not tell you about.

I'm leaning towards you posting in our virus and malware section found here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,53.0.html

Re-post in there and give as much info as you can.
    For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost,
    But how you played the game.

Owner of www.spaceandscience.co.uk and YouTube partner http://www.youtube.com/user/mulreay

phoop007

Greenhorn
    • Gotta have it.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 06:34:50 PM »
    If you can get into safe mode you might be able to install sp2.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
    The OP has not indicated taht he has tried the standard options to repair Vista. Namely, boot from the Vista install CD and select a repair option. Reverting to an earlier restore point is an option worht trying. The should roll back the updates.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:39:14 AM »
    Now I have this prompt to install the updates again but I'm afraid that these are what caused the crash.
    To check for updates or any required updates from Microsoft, click Start and type Windows update on the Search  Programs and Files box, Enter.

This will confirm you of any other updates prompting you to install.