Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FAXing without a Land Line  (Read 4787 times)

et_phonehome_2

Topic Starter

Beginner

FAXing without a Land Line
    « on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »
    I want to rid of my LAND line since I predominantly use a cell phone 99.99% of the time.  I have cable from from a provider, is it possible to send [not receive] faxes without a land line using my PC?  Please do not recommend a fax service as the alternative.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

et_phonehome_2

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: FAXing without a Land Line
      « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:38:09 AM »
      Thanks for the link, but that does not address my issue.  Though the link refers to sending to a FAX server, it is presuming I have a fax server.  In my case, this is for home, I want to know if its possible to send faxes with a land line or without any third party vendors providing the fax service.

In this day and age, there is a heavy reliance on cell phones rather than land lines, and also many PCs being sold these days no longer have a built-in modem.  I want to rid of my land line due to almost zero usage of it, and since I have cable, wondering if it is possible to fax with what I have, and how to go about it.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:59 PM »
      No, unfortunately, you'll have to use the landline for faxing or a service. It's just how that technology works. While the computer can act like a fax machine, the fax machine on the other end receives only from the telephone line.

There are plug-ins for Skype that will allow you to send faxes through Skype for a small fee. This will also require one of the subscription packages Skype offers for calling to landlines.

The other alternative would be to scan and attach the document to an email.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:15:57 AM »
      There's a useful discussion of the technical barriers here: http://www.linkedin.com/answers/technology/wireless/TCH_WIR/441836-14493894
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos