Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Editing style colors in shellstyle.dll files with reshacker  (Read 6768 times)

ChimaeraImaginarium

Topic Starter

Starter

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Editing style colors in shellstyle.dll files with reshacker
« on: September 29, 2011, 04:08:31 PM »
Hi all! This is my first post here so bear with me.

I've looked through the xp FAQs and I've searched the site using the search window. I don't think this topic has been brought up but I can't be absolutely certain. If there's an existing thread, please point me to it.

I've been having a lot of fun recently messing around with protected system files. I like to customize the appearance of my windows themes and I'd rather not just let a third party like windowblinds take control of the whole thing.

With Resource Hacker and Replacer, I've had a fair amount of success modifying .msstyles files. I've got a nice, gold variation of Luna that I'm using and it's a work in progress.

I've run into an obstacle I can't seem to work around. In the shellstyle.dll file there's a folder 23. Within that folder there's a resource, CPWEBVW.CSS.

I'm trying to change the colors of the left side pane in windows explorer. I think the colors I need to change are in CPWEBVE.CSS. Problem is, I can't figure out which colors are which. I'd also like to be able to change the white background in explorer without using the desktop properties dialogue box. If you change it from there, it changes the widow background in everything else as well.

So, anyone know which of the HTML color codes are the right ones to change?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

There is no way to Peace. Peace is the way.
Richard

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Editing style colors in shellstyle.dll files with reshacker
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
If Peace is the way...how could there be no way to it ? ?...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ChimaeraImaginarium

Topic Starter

Starter

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Editing style colors in shellstyle.dll files with reshacker
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »
If Peace is the way...how could there be no way to it ? ?...

That's like asking "what is the purpose of Life". Life is its own reason for being. Peace is the way to Peace.

Is there some useful way your question can be applied to mine?