Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chrome won't open at all  (Read 4931 times)

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    Chrome won't open at all
    « on: October 01, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
    I try clicking on the shortcut and also the exe file. Nothing happens except an arrow and an hourglass. It does not even show up in the processes on the taskmanager.
    I tried reinstalling it. that did not help

firewalls and AV is not a problem

please help I need to get my bookmarks back (they're irreplacable) and the bookmarks file comes up empty on another computer so I'm hoping that I can open it again and they will be there

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Chrome won't open at all
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
    Your Chrome bookmarks are probably on your hard drive in the standard location for them.  For info, read http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=501d9a38a1976525&hl=en

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:30:52 PM »
      Yeah I know. those are the ones that come up empty when I try it on another computer.

That's why I want to try getting it to load on here.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 07:28:57 AM »
      See this http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=40530c86b1f179d9&hl=en for further info.  While  you're there, look carefully at the various related links shown in the column on the right side of the page under "Related Discussions". 

I think you need to try researching this in that Google Chrome support forum or elsewhere.  I really haven't used Chrome for months now and don't particularly want to spend time researching this. 

Anyway, it seems to me that if you have a "bookmarks.bak" file on one computer in which you had been using Chrome, you should be able to copy that file to another computer and then import those bookmarks into Chrome  on that computer.  This makes sense; the approach for moving bookmarks for any browser from one computer to another would be basically the same.

JAJsangel

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:58:40 PM »
        Yeah that's the file I'm talking about, that I tried to import into another computer but it came up empty.

I researched it and websites say apparently every time chrome is closed, the bookmark file is overwritten ):

please help me get the chrome to load/reinstall again so it can restore them
        « Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:39:12 PM by JAJsangel »