Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrade questions.  (Read 1975 times)

techdiver01

Upgrade questions.
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »
I am fixing to update my rig. I am going with ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS,

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor , G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

(PC3 12800), and ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler. I already have G-Force 9800GTX GPU. Any thoughts on the upgrade are welcomed.

Darthgumby

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Upgrade questions.
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
    Power Supply - make sure you get something that can handle your rig.  You can get by with a 550-600W if you're just running one graphics card, but if you're going to invest in dual cards in the future, you'll want something better -and a good brand too, nothing cheap.  Also, make sure you upgrade the 9800 with something a little newer.  I hear the 550 is a nice one - and will handle anything you throw at it on high settings.  When prices go down next year, then worry about getting a second one for SLI.

Also, make sure your case will have enough cooling/ventilation - overheating is always a problem - all that heat has to go somewhere.
    There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

Darthgumby

Beginner
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Upgrade questions.
      « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
      Oh, and AM3+?  They do make some newer AMD processors that utilize that with 95W power - runs cooler and more efficient.
      There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.