Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows xp help  (Read 3986 times)

Sk8andDestroy4ever

Windows xp help
« on: September 04, 2005, 03:33:51 PM »
Hello.
I am having a big problem.
It all started a few days ago. I started to get this blue screen popping up on my computer stating that there was something wrong with my windows and it had been shut down so that it would not harm my computer. It had a few suggestions of what I could do to try to fix it. None of them worked. So i then tried to do a system go back. I tried in three differant dates but would not work. So I decided to try to reinstall windows xp over the top of the exsisting windows xp hoping that it would fix the problem..
All was going good untill this box came up and stated that something I was trying to install was not inspected by windows and may harm my computer if installed. It gave me an option of going ahead and installing it or not. Well at this point my computer froze up and I could not do anything. I tryed to restart my computer but the same thing happend. I thought that the hardware it was trying to install was my TV Tuner and figured if I just took out the tuner card untill the installation was done that it would be fine. So I took out the tuner card and restarted my computer. I now get a screen that pops up saying that it will restart installing windows xp and then goes to a black screen with just the arrow from my mouse. I can move it but its just a black screen. So I am now stuck. It wont install windows or do anything at that. What can I do.

Raptor

Re: Windows xp help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 04:57:42 PM »
Can you recall or create the exact error messages that were shown? This may be rather important.

Try the following:

1. Before Windows XP loads, press F8
2. Choose Last good known configuration
3. If the system is still unstable, do the following:
4. Repeat step 1 and choose safe mode.

Scan for Viruses, Trojan Horses and Spyware.

Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Use both a hardware and software firewall.
Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
McAfee Stinger
-- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
CWshredder
-- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 05:51:48 PM »
If you have a floppy drive you could run MemTest86 overnight, first of all, to see if there is a problem with the RAM.

Sk8andDestroy4ever

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 06:33:38 PM »
Yea I dont have a floppy drive. I tryed both safe mode and Last good know configuration and neither worked. I think the problem is with Windows xp. It wont read the disk to reinstall. But im not sure. I cant run any virus scans untill I can get to my desk top.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 05:34:41 AM »
Yea I dont have a floppy drive. I tryed both safe mode and Last good know configuration and neither worked. I think the problem is with Windows xp. It wont read the disk to reinstall. But im not sure. I cant run any virus scans untill I can get to my desk top.

Installing and Using Recovery Console

Perform a Repair Installation

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 07:36:52 AM »
Floppy drive US$9 essential for repair and maintenance  work.

There are also some free bootable maintenance CDs such as EBCD on the net.

Sk8andDestroy4ever

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 10:14:41 AM »
Well I tried the "Preform a repair installation" and at the end it said "setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information. This indicates an Internal Setup Error. Contact your system Administrator".
I have contacted DELL and because I bought my computer a year and a half ago the one year warranty is over. They want $100.00 just to TRY to talk me through the problem. Should I Buy a floppy drive and try that?

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 10:28:24 AM »
Can you use an XP CD to get to the Recovery Console and run - chkdsk /r

DELL can be difficult to deal with.

I bought my last computer from them 15 years ago.

Sk8andDestroy4ever

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »
I dont think so unless you walk me through it. Should I try to install Windows 98 and see what happens. I am just scared that I will lose everything on my hard drive like pics and documents I need

Mac

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 12:49:01 AM »
I dont think so unless you walk me through it. Should I try to install Windows 98 and see what happens. I am just scared that I will lose everything on my hard drive like pics and documents I need

If you have a good friend with a computer ask them to burn you a KNOPPIX CD.

KNOPPIX is an operating system which will run from the CD-rom drive without installing it on the hard drive.

You can then (usually) see your hard drive and partitions. Knoppix comes with a burning program called K3B which will allow you to burn your data to removable media. (If you have a burner...)

You should at least then be safe to delete the existing installation and start afresh.

Mac

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 12:56:46 AM »
Maybe you can save the $100 if you just punch your service tag in on this page for a DELL reinstallation guide:

DELL SERVICE

You need to look for a TAG number as I recall.

Seem to remember that it was on a plate on the back of the computer.

Sk8andDestroy4ever

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 04:48:56 PM »
Well I just partitioned(I think thats how you spell that) my hard drive and it worked. The only problem is that my desktop is empty. I will have to cut and paste and alot of installing of programs. Can I delete my old windows folder or some how delete the other partition so that it does not take up so much of my drive space?

Mac

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 03:30:19 AM »
How big is the drive and what size are the partitions?

Which partition do you want to delete?

E.G.

[PRIMARY drive C]{[LOGICAL drive D][LOGICAL drive E][LOGICAL drive F]}

The three logical drives are made with the {EXTENDED drive PARTITION}

You can delete any logical and extended partitions but you cannot delete the primary partition

If you want to start over and do a clean install then delete them all and re-partition using a FULL format for each drive.

It means a lot of work, but when you have a good install on drive C: you should make a drive image to restore with and also make a backup, if you have enough drive space, to say, drive F:

roscoe

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 04:57:59 PM »
I had this same problem about a month ago. I took my computer back to best buys (I had purchased the 3 yr. ext. warnnity). They un-installed windows xp made a new C drive (deleted the old C drive), then re-installed windows xp from the cd I got with the computer. They downloaded all new drivers. I lost everything I had downloaded, including all pictures and music. I had to re-install all my programs, works, sound blaster etc. Everything seems to be up and running.

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 10:09:01 PM »
I had this same problem about a month ago. I took my computer back to best buys (I had purchased the 3 yr. ext. warnnity). They un-installed windows xp made a new C drive (deleted the old C drive), then re-installed windows xp from the cd I got with the computer. They downloaded all new drivers. I lost everything I had downloaded, including all pictures and music. I had to re-install all my programs, works, sound blaster etc. Everything seems to be up and running.

Just curious. What did this cost, and are you better at backing things up now. - IMPORTANT LESSON!