Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stumped on sata  (Read 2665 times)

madcaddies

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    stumped on sata
    « on: November 02, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
    Good day,

I had posted a prob a few weeks back and this is the continuum. Its abt my sata drive, a Samsung 500Gb which came with the machine i bought almost 3mos back.  Tried partitioning it for the first time and the drive 'died out' in the process, bios wont even detect it. Replaced it with an older IDE HDD which worked fine until lately.
    When this ide failed, I tried connecting the 'dead' samsung sata and it's apparently alive again, being detected by bios and all (which wasnt the case before). I was using it for a lil while then it died out again. i tried reconnecting the signal cable, and used another available hdd power cable (guessing it could be faulty power cable) and it worked again. Also pulled out all the cables of both the ide and cd drive, so the sata is the only active drive.
    based on this, what could possibly be the prob: power supply or hdd itself? Just wanna know ur opinions before i decide heading back to the shop where i bought the pc for replacement.

i have intel 2core e660 on G41D3C, rated 600W psu. Feedback would be highly appreciated :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: stumped on sata
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »
    Replace both STA cables 1st... Power and dat cables...use new ones.
    If it's the only HDD in the system connesct it to the SATA #1 port on the MBoard...
    Assuming it failed on you and there's no crucial data on it boot to the partition software CD you used...delete and re-create the partition and then format it....
    2nd post the make of that PSU if you still suspect it as the issue...i didn't find any info on that #...

Let us know...
    BTW if you need Easus has a Free ver. of their partition manager app if needed...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

madcaddies

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »
      Replace both STA cables 1st... Power and dat cables...use new ones.
      If it's the only HDD in the system connesct it to the SATA #1 port on the MBoard...
      Assuming it failed on you and there's no crucial data on it boot to the partition software CD you used...delete and re-create the partition and then format it....
      2nd post the make of that PSU if you still suspect it as the issue...i didn't find any info on that #...

Let us know...
      BTW if you need Easus has a Free ver. of their partition manager app if needed...

ok, i'll do just that when i get home. But i remembered putting the plug back to sata1 port after it died out a second time connected via sata2 for some time. Also connected it to another power cabling at the same time. I'll leave it to work overnight later.
      i also cant find the psu brand name, so i guess it's a generic one; since it is a custom made machine.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »
      I have found that sometimes SATA cables don't make a tight enough fit on the hard drive or motherboard.  You can tighten them with a thin piece of paper or plastic slipped behind the connector.  I use the Post-It plastic page markers, cut to fit.  I have a motherboard & a hard drive that exhibit this behavior.  Sometimes a different cable will work.

madcaddies

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
        Thank u for the suggestions. Did every tip and now i im running simultaneously two sata and two ide; all passed overnight testings. The satas needed the cable with snap on clips and taped em secure just to be double sure. Im still observing if the sata hdd sustained damage from those times it died out.

Much gratitude, keep on helping :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
        Good news...keep us posted...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "