Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel - moving columns and info to a new page  (Read 3856 times)

02bin3

Excel - moving columns and info to a new page
« on: November 02, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »
I had assumed that if I copied one page of a, say 30 page Excel file, opened a new file and pasted that page to the new file that it would duplicate the column widths.  For whatever reason, the column widths are not changing and my information is trying to fit itself into the narrow default columns.  Is there some extra step or trick here that I am missing here?  I have Excel version that came with the Home and Student version of MS Office 2007 and I constantly update whatever is available from Microsoft.  Thank you, :)

oldun

Re: Excel - moving columns and info to a new page
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
Highlight the columns, not just the data, before you copy, then paste into the new sheet.

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
Oldun, I tried that and it didn't work.  It doesn't make sense that it wouldn't carry the formatting over to a new application.  There are 11 columns of varying widths and trying to duplicate them for every one of the 30 or so pages would be exceedingly tedious.  I could do it in my old Excel program from Office 97, but the new and improved version doesn't seem to want to cooperate.  Frankly, if I could run my old Office 97 on Windows 7, I'd be very happy as it was a much easier program to use and I could do more with it.  Even with MS Word 2007 I can't get it to change spacing between sentences after Copying and Special Pasting.  It won't seem to let go of the original formatting.  Never had that problem with Office 97.  Thank you for your help.

oldun

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
Did you actually select the column headers (A, B, C, etc)?

It worked when I tried it just now on a Home & Student 2007 version.

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:24 AM »
When I tried to highlight from the A, B, C etc., column headers, it highlighted all of the pages in of the file below the page I wanted and it wouldn't isolate only one page.  I tried highlighting starting at the bottom of the page I wanted and worked my way up to the header columns and as soon as I got to the header columns it started paging down and highlighting everything above the page I wanted.  It must be me if your identical program is working as it should, but I'm usually pretty good at following directions and this isn't my first rodeo.  I've had computers since 1994 and have usually, through persistence, figured my way around their little idiosyncrasies.  I don't usually resort to Computer Hope until I've exhausted all other avenues.  Thanks, again.

oldun

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:55:47 AM »
The only time, as far as I know, that other pages would be selected when selecting one page, is if the pages are "grouped" together.

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »
I'm not quite sure that I understand what you mean by "grouped" together?  Does this "grouping" have anything to do with Page Breaks?  I have Page Breaks set between each page in the file.  Obviously I'm not a person who uses Excel on a continuing basis and when I do use it, I use only the very basic things that it will do.  Thank you

oldun

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:12:46 AM »
I didn't understand that you were talking about "page breaks". I thought you meant different sheets.

In that case, select and copy the data, then in the new sheet select  select "Paste Special" and click on "Column widths", which will copy the column widths, then simply paste the data.

02bin3

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
Eureka!!!  It worked!!!  Thank you so much for your persistence in solving my problem.  Although, it still seems to me that Excel should have been able to duplicate the column formatting without the extra steps.  But, maybe I'll tackle that when I decide to be a programmer in my next life.  Thanks again