Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Artifacts  (Read 3313 times)

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Artifacts
    « on: November 10, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »
    Hi All , I am getting artifacts when playing Call of duty modern warfare 3, after about an hour playing it. I know its probably overheating.... it does not do this when I play Cod modern warfare (the first one). Can this be fixed or should I get a new card? I can spend about 200.00 dollors on one. But I need advice on what new card to buy, need something for gaming. any ideas?. Specs.....Widows 7 64 bit,  Intel cor2 Duo Cpu E-8400@ 3.00GHZ, 4.00GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 9800gtx/9800gtx+ graghic card,  Power supply Corsair HX620W,Nvidia 780i motherbored, Thanks.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Artifacts
      « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:13:10 PM »
      It may well be that the issue is your video card but before spending your hard earned money on another card run
      http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
      and determine your temperatures. Do a test without the program running and another with it running. If you need input re the results post them here and members will comment on them. truenorth
      « Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 12:37:21 PM by truenorth »

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
        ok  i will download and run test..... thanks will get back to you soon.

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »
          Ok temps while playing Cod 3......GPU 57c  Temp 56c  CPU 32 . NOT playing..... GPU 49c  CPU 22c Temp 49c .

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
            • Programming Blog
          • Certifications: List
          « Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »
          I suspect that the card is defective, not overheating. Do you have a spare card that you could drop into the comp or onboard graphics?
          YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:29:08 AM »
            No , I do not have a spare card. Could anyone please give me advice on a new card? my budget is 200.00 dollors and I listed my specs on first post. I need a card strong enough to play Call of duty modern warfare 3. thanks.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908
            Radeon HD 6850-provides the best price-performance ratio.

from http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+6850
            You can also use http://www.hwcompare.com to compare the individual specs of every single graphics card on the market.
            In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
            Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
              What do you think of geforce560 ti ?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Familiar
              In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
              Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »
                Well Thank you transfusion you really know what your talking about cause I have been doing some of my own research and the 6850 is a really good card for the price. about.com has it ranked 6 in the top ten cards for 2011. My wife said I can top out at 250.00 for a card so I may go with either the 6850 or the 6870 not sure yet. Thanks again man.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 07:18:39 AM »
                  As a participant in this post i have been mulling over this issue for a few days now. Correct me if i am missing something here. But as your O/S is win 7 (which is the latest and current Microsoft O/S -other than win 8 which is in testing) and the other specs on the computer reflect a recent computer why is this a factor of your video card? I would expect that the newest computers with the latest operating system ought to be able to handle any current game. So is it only this game that causes the issue? Has this game ever operated properly without the problems it is currently exhibiting? The game compatibility criteria should indicate whether your equipment is capable of playing the game. Is there anything to indicate that it isn't? It just seems odd to me that if this computer is as it seems to be that you should be replacing a video card. truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • BC-Programming.com
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
                  I would expect that the newest computers with the latest operating system ought to be able to handle any current game.

When it comes to Video cards, the processing power required for basic desktop usage are far less than those required by a modern 3-D game. Also, the hardware utilization of the Graphics hardware while playing such a game is far greater than it is at the desktop, which can make issues more readily apparent, especially if that utilization results in overheating.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:20:33 AM »
                    BC,Your comments are well understood. However i would have expected that at the time of acquisition of this particular game the O/P would have verified this "The game compatibility criteria should indicate whether your equipment is capable of playing the game. Is there anything to indicate that it isn't?" Plus this was why "especially if that utilization results in overheating." i suggested the test did . Which from the results does not appear to be an issue. So aren't we back to my previous observation?truenorth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    • Experience: Beginner
                    « Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
                    It doesn't matter whether the card meets the specs or not if it's defective.

If a game doesn't use, say, Shader Model 4, than none of the hardware on the card is employed relating to that feature, so you don't see any issues, even if there are hardware issues with that circuitry. Same for many other features, Including video card memory. Graphics memory isn't filled by many games, but newer games will fill them "more" so if there are issues with the Graphics memory in higher addresses, newer games will see issues whereas older ones will not; etc.
                    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »
                      Gotcha. But if the O/P is actually dealing with a defective graphics card and taking into consideration my earlier comments re the "newness potential" of the computer then perhaps a warranty issue comes into play here.truenorth
                      P.S. I guess at this point to relate to this possibility we need a return of the O/P.