Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Operating system not found after enabling verifier.exe  (Read 5727 times)

vinhuman

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Operating system not found after enabling verifier.exe
    « on: November 05, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
    My acer laptop has been having quite a bit of trouble recently. It has been BSOD'ing after log-in, usually with a IRQL Not Less or Equal Stop 0x0000000A error. It usually gets the blue screen in a matter of seconds following log-in, although occasionally it takes up to 5-10 minutes. It does not blue screen in safe mode. After a bit of experimenting/scanning/cleaning I decided to turn to the driver verifier (oops).

Anyways, I enabled the driver verifier (verifier.exe) custom -> checked all the drivers outside of the Microsoft ones and then rebooted. The next BSOD did show a driver name but unfortunately I did not turn off the auto reboot upon BSOD (I thought I had) and it rebooted before I got the name of the driver down. I think I'd recognize it if I saw it again, but cannot post it here for further help.

Here's where it got worse. Now when I restart my laptop it just keeps displaying something very similar to this (I am away at school and it is kind of difficult to get the exact text but I will certainly try to add it to the thread later).

Broadcom -- some other info describing version # etc.
    PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
    Operating System not found.

I checked the BIOS boot order to no avail. I can't press f8 and get to safe mode, the operating system not found message is shown upon trying. Also, alt + f10 just results in the same message so I cannot try to find some sort of OS partition on my HDD. I'm about to go back to my laptop and just fiddle with the boot order a bit more, I'll report back and let you know if this has any effect.

In the mean time, any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Operating system not found after enabling verifier.exe
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
    This refers to your Network card so if you have a BIOS option LAN or Network, disable this feature. Reseat the hard drive and all cables in your laptop. You could safely work with the bluescreen in safemode.

vinhuman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »
      I tried disabling the Network option. Everything works exactly the same except now the message skips the Broadcom version/check cable/ exiting message and just says "Operating system not found."

Although I have had to deal with hardware before (I assembled my desktop) laptops are a whole new monster for me. I tried taking the case off with little success, so instead I just took off the hard drive/memory cover. I reseated the hard drive but this changed nothing. I did the same for the memory. I don't know a whole lot about laptops and I'm confused on how to reconnect all the cables or even get to them, so I have not done that yet.

You said I could safely work with the blue screen in safe mode... I don't get a blue screen anymore, as I cannot even reach the f8 start up menu to try safe mode. Immediately after the first screen my laptop displays "Operating system not found," unless of course I go into BIOS. Thanks for the reply.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:11:41 AM »
      Reinsert or replace also the CMOS battery. Do you see the hard drive recognized on your BIOS setup?

vinhuman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
        The hard drive is recognized. I'm not entirely sure how to go about replacing the CMOS battery. Then again, I did find a pretty comprehensive guide to taking apart my exact laptop model here -> http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-acer-aspire-7551g-laptop/.

Maybe there was originally a hardware issue causing the BSODs, but I'm frustrated in trying to understand why activating the verifier would completely stop me from booting even in safe mode.

I read somewhere you can edit the registry offline to disable the driver verifier, do you know anything about this?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
        Try booting with your original windows disk to use start up repair or make a system restore to an earlier point. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

alecsillidan

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 03:59:57 PM »
          try booting from cd and use bootsect /nt60 from command prompt utility
          We never had to cheat 'cause we already won!