Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: .lnk default set program  (Read 16290 times)

Raz0r.

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    .lnk default set program
    « on: November 15, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »
    Hello there, i am here to seek help from you all, as i failed in fixing the problem myself. My girlfriend accidently put the default set program for .lnk files to google chrome, and most of her files are shortcuts (i sent her a shortcut to an image instead of the image with an accident, so she opened it in windows photo view or w.e it's called). Now she cannot use any of the programs due to this problem. She has win7, and a dell inspiron 1564 which requires everything to be located in the D:/ drive. This lead to her transferring all files in there, and leaving shortcuts all over the C:/ drive.

After she had set it to Windows Photo viewer, i set it to be opened in Google Chrome.

Here's a screenshot of the problem,

Any ideas on what i can do to set it back to the original programs?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: .lnk default set program
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
    Go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types, and delete the .ink extension.
    Or, if Delete is grayed out, click Restore (to set it back to the defaults), then Delete.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Raz0r.

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:55 AM »
      Thanks for that. But i can't seem to find "Folder options" anywhere in the control panel..  :(
      ----------------------------------
      nvm, found it. But the file types aren't in it..

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »

The above is how I do it on Windows XP. I messed up my .LNK shortcut extension just like yours and set it to open with google Chrome.
      I deleted the wrong entry, and then created a new .LNK extension with the object "Shortcut."

I noticed you are using Windows 7, in which case there is no default menu for file type management. There is no need to worry, though:
      http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-500
      http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-dissociate-file-types-in-windows-7-and-vista
      You can use either of the third-party tools to delete and reassociate the .lnk file extension. Its LNK, not INK, as I just found out. Sorry for the above typo...
      « Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:42:09 PM by Transfusion »
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none