Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clean my mac Questions before cleaning  (Read 11843 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Clean my mac Questions before cleaning
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Hello mac users of computerhope!

I recently have bought the program Clean my Mac. I was told by many mac users this is a great program to use when cleaning out your disk drive. And after owning a macbook for 4 years i need to clean it bad! I just have a few simple questions about this program.
-It says it cleans out:
caches, logos, language files, universal binaries, system junk and trash. My questions area as follows:
-what are caches, logos language files and universal binaries?
-what kind of system junk does it clean?
-will cleaning all of this delete any music, word documents, garageband music or imovie documents? If it doesn't is this program like disk clean-up on a windows computer?

Im asking because I became new to the mac world in 2007. I love macs i know how to use them its just im not %100 oercent expert yet.

I own a late 2007 White macbook with running Mac OSX 10.5.8 with the following specs:

2.2 GHz dual core intel CPU
120 GB hard disk drive
1 Gb RAM

Any information is appreciated. I need to clean out my mac for the 120 GB hdd has only 50 GB left. Before i copied all my downloads to my new external hdd it only had 15 Gb.

stevenros

Greenhorn

• Use Mac and be smart
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Clean my mac Questions before cleaning
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 01:24:26 AM »
    Hello mac users of computerhope!

I recently have bought the program Clean my Mac. I was told by many mac users this is a great program to use when cleaning out your disk drive. And after owning a macbook for 4 years i need to clean it bad! I just have a few simple questions about this program.
    -It says it cleans out:
    caches, logos, language files, universal binaries, system junk and trash. My questions area as follows:
    -will cleaning all of this delete any music, word documents, garageband music or imovie documents? If it doesn't is this program like disk clean-up on a windows computer?

Im asking because I became new to the mac world in 2007. I love macs i know how to use them its just im not %100 oercent expert yet.

I own a late 2007 White macbook with running Mac OSX 10.5.8 with the following specs:

2.2 GHz dual core intel CPU
    120 GB hard disk drive
    1 Gb RAM

Any information is appreciated. I need to clean out my mac for the 120 GB hdd has only 50 GB left. Before i copied all my downloads to my new external hdd it only had 15 Gb.

The mac optimization tools like Stellar speed up Mac and Clean my Mac are good applications to remove useless files from your drive and create free spaces to speed up Mac performance.

No, these applications will not remove any of your music files , documents, imovie etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »
    First of all, I do not presently use a Mac.
    Second, the Mac OS has been crafted by some of the best people in the industry. The Mac OS is not in need of grandiose software utilities. The big waste of space is the videos you no longer watch. Put them on to DVD or get rid of them.
    Finally, consider the cost of any 'hard drive utility' that will be seldom used. If it is near equal to the cost of a new hard drive, buy a new had drive. Problem solved and you have an investment of lasting value.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
    I agree - Programs like that will only free up very small amounts of disk space - If you need more space, consider upgrading the hard drive - I have a very similar MacBook and it is really easy to upgrade - Remove the battery, a few screws and a little metal plate and it just slides out.  I've boosted mine from the original 80gb to a 160gb that I had lying around - Took about 5 mins to switch the drives.

stevenros

Greenhorn

• Use Mac and be smart
      « Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:05:59 AM »
      I agree - Programs like that will only free up very small amounts of disk space - If you need more space, consider upgrading the hard drive - I have a very similar MacBook and it is really easy to upgrade - Remove the battery, a few screws and a little metal plate and it just slides out.  I've boosted mine from the original 80gb to a 160gb that I had lying around - Took about 5 mins to switch the drives.

I think I will be more expensive. The mac speed up tools not only delete unnecessary data but also it can uninstall the unnecessary applications.

Using speed up Mac software does't need any technical expertise.

carolinebrown

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:15:45 AM »
      With the help of Mac PC cleaner you can easily clean out the caches, logos, language files, universal binaries, system junk and trash. Not only this but it also removes the temporary files, duplicate files, and many other unnecessary files that are of no use for the mac operating system. As soon as it is installed in the PC then it starts removing all the unnecessary files from system. So you can easily use this software fro Quick Search for Mac.
      http://www.quicksearchformac.com

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »
      Using speed up Mac software does't need any technical expertise.

FTFY.

EDIT: BLOODY thread necromancers.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

billiehawkins

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
        1. Caches are just temp files used by the system - they are cleaned by system processes as part of the unix backend. It can't hurt to clean out the 3rd party caches, so this may save some space. Most Mac apps are pretty good about cleaning up after itself.
        2. Logos and language files: if you use an English version of the OS, many apps will install alternate languages (korean, Russian, etc) - these can be safely cleaned out if you don't plan on changing languages. It can save 10-800 mb, based on the amount installed.
        3. Universal: older versions of the OS and apps installed as a Universal version. This was done to allow support for PPC Based Macs AND intel versions. Since you have an intel Mac, this cleanup would strip out the universal version from the app. It can cut the app size by 50%.
        4. Junk files: not sure what it removes, but I am sure it will include old .log, .tmp, and .hist files that apps have written during installs and updates.

Programs like these virtually never touch a user generated file, like docs or music. You should be just fine.

soap21

Starter

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
          Agreed. The cache files can be removed safely and system will not be harmed. This article explained that.
          http://www.easemac.com/resources/cleanresources/5-ways-to-speed-up-mac.htm

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
          Do you guys have any idea how old this thread is? 
          Evil is an exact science.

Amacidia

Rookie
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »
            Pretty old!  :)

I've used Onyx in the past, it's a pretty good utility for cleaning up your drive.

Also, CCleaner is beta for Mac right now. Pretty good as well.