Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: asus g73 hard drive not detected after reassembling  (Read 3702 times)

Thomas901

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    asus g73 hard drive not detected after reassembling
    « on: December 16, 2011, 03:23:03 AM »
    i had a noisy gpu fan ( fan on right side) i read that the oil in the fan must have leaked out somehow so i opened it up and put a drop of hair clipper oil in there.  it fixed the problem for about 2 months.    it started again today so i opened it up to do the oil trick again but ran into a stripped screw and couldnt get the fan out.  after reassembling the laptop i get this on bootup.

" reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

so its not detecting the hard drive right? i tried reseating  the hard drive and opening the laptop back up to check and make sure everything was plugged in correctly.  same problem

no recovery dvd's came with the laptop.  i had to make my own when i first got it.  i couldnt boot up to do any recover or repair with those either. 

all i could do was hit f2 and get into the bios.   there it looked like it only recognized one thing under the boot menu.   i cant remember what it exactly was but it was something like  sata dvdram?????  i wasnt sure if it was the hard drive or dvd drive.

now i cant even seem to get into the bios,  in frustration i had started enabling and disabling things in the bios,  i cant remember the last two things i enabled before my problem getting into the bios started.  but now when i start up it just stays blank for a long time with a dash at the top left of the screen. after a while it says something about "for atheros pcie ethernet controller" below that it says  "client mac addr" followed by numbers and letters.  after a while of that it  says no dhcp or proxdhcp offers were received,  exiting intel pxe rom. 

i hope that tells you what option i enabled in the bios.    after that it  goes back to  "reboot and select proper boot device" i can't even get into the bios now.  sigh...very frustrated with this and have no money for a repair shop. 

ShotAlive

Rookie

• I'm Pro Your Nab Live With it
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: asus g73 hard drive not detected after reassembling
      « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
      I think you should try resetting the bios, and check what happens

Thomas901

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        Re: asus g73 hard drive not detected after reassembling
        « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:53:04 AM »
        I think you should try resetting the bios, and check what happens

i can't get into the bios to do that.  i tried the cmos reset button on the bottom of the laptop but that didnt seem to do anything.  i would have tried to remove the cmos battery but i cant get past a stripped screw at the moment.