Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer crashes slowly  (Read 2515 times)

Asadinator

Computer crashes slowly
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:05:53 PM »
Dell Studio XPS 435MT i7-920 6GB Vista 64bit

This happens after a while, never early.

I am either listening to youtube videos or playing games and suddenly I can hear crackling in the speakers where the sound gets fuzzy. Later (~10mins) the screen and mouse pointer has these jumps and everything starts becoming crackly and freezing. And finally the whole computer freezes and doesn't respond, only way to fix it is to restart.

It's like a slow death and when I get these symptoms I save everything and restart.

My computer is relatively new, what's causing this?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Computer crashes slowly
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
If interference is manifesting itself... It may possibly be your power supply. I can recount a similar incident I experienced with an underpowered computer crashing at random intervals.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Daisymae70

Beginner

• IowaMrs70 Blog
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
Dell Studio XPS 435MT i7-920 6GB Vista 64bit

This happens after a while, never early.

I am either listening to youtube videos or playing games and suddenly I can hear crackling in the speakers where the sound gets fuzzy. Later (~10mins) the screen and mouse pointer has these jumps and everything starts becoming crackly and freezing. And finally the whole computer freezes and doesn't respond, only way to fix it is to restart.

It's like a slow death and when I get these symptoms I save everything and restart.

My computer is relatively new, what's causing this?

If your computer is relatively new I would go straight to the source.  Especially if it is still under warranty.

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs
The Truth is the Truth whether you believe it or not.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

marozie

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Something very similar just started happening to me, except my computer is not new and I haven't made any recent changes to either hardware or software. It seems like a hardware issue, and at first I thought it was a problem with my graphics card. But the other day it happened while I was listening to music, and I don't know how else to describe it other than to say that the exact same thing happened to the audio that happened to the graphics: slow deterioration until the point of everything stopping. It's really bizarre and I don't even know how to go about trouble shooting. I've done virus scans, malware scans, registry scans, but nothing. This thread is the only thing I've come across that sounds anything like what I'm experiencing.