Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Open windows files within *censored* Small Linux?  (Read 5075 times)

ShadowVegan

Open windows files within *censored* Small Linux?
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
*censored* is 'the d-word'.

I am running DSL within Windows XP and I want to access files on the Windows XP partition (or if that is impossible, then from an external USB device with an SD card). I have DSL on the HDD.

I just started using DSL tonight and am very inexperienced with Linux.

Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Open windows files within *censored* Small Linux?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:35:44 PM »
DSL is ,very small.

When you say 'inside windiness' it makes me think you are using VM ware.Is that so?

You must 'mount' a partition to see its contents.
But you are inside of Windows using a VM?
Sorry, I don't remember how you get around using the VM.

Anyeay, with DSL, the only files you could read and edit would be TXT files. Binary files, or EXE files, don't work in Linux if they were  made for windows. Linux must have its own EXE and DLL and that stuff written just for the specific OS.

But you can boot DSL off of a USB stick and from three look at the partitions on the hard drive. There is little advantage of running DSL from your hard drive.

IMHO, using puppy linux is a step up from DLS. The DSL people are commuted to making is a small as can be, and that puts a limit on how many extras you can have.
But if DSL is what you like, go ahead and enjoy it. It is cool to see how much you can do sill so little. Actually, this teaches on of the principles of Classic Cybernetics, namely,  "A complex system can be scaled down and still be  useful."

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:36 AM »
*censored* is 'the d-word'.

Is it 1812 where you live?

What did you mean by "within Windows XP"? If you are using virtualization software such as VMWare you can have "shared folders" which are folders or drives on the host which are visible to the guest OS. As you have not said what virtualization software you are using it would be hard to be more helpful at this stage.

Applications running in Linux can work with much more than TXT files. Just about every image, sound, video, document, and many script formats (perl, python, java etc) can be handled. With WINE many Windows programs can be run.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
You can't just see the windows partition under Linux? Should be auto-mounted ...

Also, what's with the censor thing?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »
You can't just see the windows partition under Linux? Should be auto-mounted ...

I am running DSL within Windows XP

I suspect he is running DSL in a VM using Qemu.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:57:16 AM by Salmon Trout »

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
Oh right DSL as in *censored* Small Linux. I thought DSL as in Digital Subscriber Line.

ShadowVegan

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
1812? What? The 'd-word' is auto censored. And yes I am using Qemu. I agree that using a bigger OS is better but I am on a ski trip and left my computer home, I am using my dad's work computer with limited privileges so I can't install anything, and I want to watch .mov files taken with my helmet cam. I downloaded zip VLC but it is really laggy so I want to watch them in DSL.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:53 AM »
Can you boot from a live Linux distro?

Can you run an FTP server in DSL?  If so, you could use FTP at the command line on the host computer to send the files to the DSL filesystem.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »
For the benefit of all, here are some useful links about -
   Dämn Small Linux.

Short history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux
Nice Review:
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall

With a small OS in your pocket, you can use a borrowed computer and have all your own stuff on the USB thumb drive. It does not require any hard drive space. And yes, it does read windows volumes.
And DSL has many brothers and sisters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

And if you can not say *censored*, just say Dämn

ä   <--

UnixKid

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
I don't have any experience using Qemu. I do know VirtualBox allows you to specify partitions, prior to booting, that you want access to while in the OS. You can also include thumb drives and other peripherals to connect as well.