Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unmountable boot volume  (Read 2690 times)

robert lasiter

unmountable boot volume
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:11:39 PM »
the computer is a Dell dimension 8300.......
i have gone into the recovery console as a previous topic had suggested.......i type chkdsk /p and all i get is
AUTOCHK.EXE cannot be found in the specified location.....so i do ....chkdsk c: /p ........and it says.
AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in either the startup directory or the CDROM drive.....type the full path (including drive letter)for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE:
any ideas?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: unmountable boot volume
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:43:12 AM »
    Is this the same computer Robert?
    Double threads just confuse us all.

robert lasiter

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:22:45 AM »
    SORRY......this is my better computer.....when it broke, i used my old one and it broke when i uupdated it......this is what happened to this computer......i live in memphis and Katrina did some damage hear to....power surges and outages all night.....so my computer started cutting off on its own for about a week till it finally wouldnt come back on....DELL said it was the power supply after they had me run some test. I installed a brand new supply and it came on to the blue screen UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME....i put the old power supply back in (curiousity) and it powered up and is still working....I have gotten the ERROR corrected and all is well except i had to put a new ethernet card in to get online.....any thoughts....is this power supply bad? did the surge or whatever blow the onboard ethernet card?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 10:47:16 AM »
    recheck the command you have used?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000630.htm

Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:31:39 AM »
    Did you put the XP CD-ROM in the drive? AUTOCHK.EXE is usually to be found in the WINDOWS\System32 folder.

Sounds like you need an UPS, an Uninterruptable Power Supply.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 01:01:23 PM by Mac »

robert lasiter

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:34:59 PM »
    what is a UPS.....no i used the 6 boot-up disk...i dont have the XP CD. and as far as what command i used.....i think i just followed the directions on the link you providedeverything is working fine now......except the onboard ethernet slot. i wander if the power supply could malfunction agian, should i go ahead and install the new one or return it.......
    PS......the new power supply did not have the correct SATA cable for my hard drive so i simply used an adaptor....could this have cause the blue screen?