Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: fan troubles maybe?  (Read 2806 times)

Sas187

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    fan troubles maybe?
    « on: April 19, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
    first of all sorry if this is in the wrong section

hey guys, i think my fan has stopped working, I can't hear it working or anything but the CPU temperature is highish (90 celsius) i tried to find out how to see if fans working or not (tried to go onto my bios thing didn't work), was wondering if you can help me

I'm running a lenovo g6570 with windows 7, using a i5 intel processor and an AMD Radeon HD 6370m gpu if you guys need more information im sure i can find out somehow

=D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:15:59 PM by Sas187 »

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: fan troubles maybe?
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »
    hey guys, i think my fan has stopped working, I can't hear it working or anything but the CPU temperature is highish (90 celsius) i tried to find out how to see if fans working or not
    =D
    90C. In a laptop. It's pretty incredible you managed to keep it running at that temperature. Most Tj.Max sensors in laptops automatically shutdown the system at ~85C...

...and you're still laughing...

The obvious thing would be to feel for hot air coming out of the side vent. You can use http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php to monitor your fan RPMs and PWM percentage.
    If it's still under warranty, use the warranty.
    If not, just take the bottom of your laptop out and see if the fan's working. Problem solved.
    It may just be as simple as a dust blockage; cleaning the heatsink grill and the fan out with some compressed air should do the trick if that is the case.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

zeroburn

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
      • Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: fan troubles maybe?
    « Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
    a basic inside-case clean is usually a good idea (exept laptops, unless you know your way around PCB safety and handling)

If it is a desktop, still under warranty, opening the case might not be the best idea.

if it is outside the grasp of warranty, i would recommend the case clean, a slightly wet cloth (such as a single spray of water from a spray bottle) should be good to clean ONLY the fan or case. NOT the circuit boards.

another reason for the problem could just be a loose power wire from the Mother Board to the fan. Solution would be to plug it back in, but caution must be taken
    Remember that static discharge does ruin computers, so make sure you ground yourself to the computer. The most simple way to do this is to make sure your skin is in contact with an exposed metal part of the case (usually the back of the case or the floor of the interior)

However, i would not recommend taking caution, as doing the wrong thing inside the case could cause more problems.
    I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.