Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading PSU and GPU. Not sure if compatible  (Read 3010 times)

Nougatoo

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Upgrading PSU and GPU. Not sure if compatible
    « on: April 27, 2012, 04:42:17 PM »
    I'm looking to upgrade my to these
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121466
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

This is my current mobo and I'm looking for confirmation that these would work in conjunction
    without bottle-necking and all that stuff.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01635734&lc=en&product=3887687#N197

If not, do you have any suggestions? Or maybe I should forget about upgrading and just wait it out and buy a new computer.
    Thanks for you help.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Upgrading PSU and GPU. Not sure if compatible
      « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »
      You seem to have decided to upgrade your current computer hardware. Why? What is it you are hoping to improve?truenorth

Nougatoo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
        You seem to have decided to upgrade your current computer hardware. Why? What is it you are hoping to improve?truenorth

My GPU fan has recently died so i've been using alternative ways to cool it.
        I've finally decided that it's time to buck up and buy something new. (I game quite a bit).

My PSU is fully working, but no decent card is going to run off of 300W.

I guess you could say it's more of a replacement than an upgrade.

EDIT: I know I could just replace the fan on the GPU, but I wanted to upgrade because I've got the money right now.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
          Of course it is absolutely your right to decide how you spend your money but personally i find the basis of your decision to be illogical "I wanted to upgrade because I've got the money right now." You are prepared to spend aprox. $300.00 for just those two components. It is my belief for that amount of money you could probably find something that would offer at least the ability to match what you MIGHT achieve with the replacement of the two components that you have chosen. Particularly if you were amenable to refurbished or bare bones computers.I urge you to do some online research to see what you can find.If your geography permits i suggest having a look at what Tiger Direct has to offer. truenorth

Nougatoo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
            I've been meaning to upgrade for quite a while and with the fan dying it just gave me more incentive. Having the money at this very time was just lucky.

Thank you very much for your post though, I'll see what I can dig up after doing some research. I've never upgraded or bought new parts before, so your insight is much appreciated.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
              Your very welcome.Take a few days of research and you might find something that excites you. In some ways what your inclination to do can be compared to putting a higher performance engine in an automobile but can the transmission handle the power If you improve the video card would you also like to have surround sound will you need upgraded RAM. truenorth

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
              With any upgrade here's the 3 things you should consider and provide for feedback...
              A) Budget
              B) What are the primary uses for the PC ?
              C) What components of the old PC can be used in the upgrade ?
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "