Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to get Windows Event Log started to get Win7 back online  (Read 6523 times)

bobparker

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I have been running win7 Ultimate for about 18 months with no major issues. I was running low on space in partitions, so I cut some corners (in keeping my backup image, and restore points).  I solved the space issue (larger harddisk cloned using Apricorns DRIVEWIRE with no issues, a chkdsk afterwards also no errors this past week). However I have some OS issues.

Short of it is No Network access. I don't have restore points from before issues started. When I start up, I get message about unable to

Failed to connect to a windows service
               Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problems prevents
               standard users from logging on to the system. As an adminstrative user, you can review the System
               Event Log for details about why the service did not respond

When I try to start Windows Event Log service (still set to automatic, but not started),

I get an Error 1747: The authentication service is unknown.

I am in as a new administrator logon (same issue under my old ID also as administrator).

Trying to view event log gives me: "Event Log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running"

SFC /SCANNOW runs (as administrator or from REPAIR on Win7 Install disk CMD window) and says it fixes some issues, but still has issues. I am unable to understand CBS.LOG as to what files it needs (a find on 'missing' yields no results). 

I am not clear how to get SFC to run from Windows 7 Install Disk win Repair fully (it runs for a short time and then says it needs to restart to finish, rebooting gives same message).

I removed WD SmartWare (installed accidently when trying to backup all the data).

I am Running Windows 7 ultimate sp1 64bit 8g laptop ASUS 18month old i7
    I am trying to avoid having to install all the software and patches for all the applications and configurations.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Unable to get Windows Event Log started to get Win7 back online
      « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
      There are many references to this issue on the web.Here is one that provides many possible solutions. I recommend that you read ALL of them before attempting any one of them.
      http://bacsoftwareconsulting.com/blog/index.php/software/how-to-fix-failed-to-connect-to-a-windows-service/
      truenorth 

bobparker

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: Unable to get Windows Event Log started to get Win7 back online
        « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
        Thanks I will look at this. I looked at a variety of solutions from Google with no success.