Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any way to recover clipboard?  (Read 6887 times)

perseus

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Any way to recover clipboard?
    « on: May 24, 2012, 07:59:43 AM »
    During normal work I wasn't suddenly able to use copy and paste and some applications gave me a message Cannot open clipboard. Is there any way to make the clipboard functional again without restarting the computer?
    It's Windows 7 Professional.

theregkid

• it's pronounced: the-reg-kid
      • homepage
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Any way to recover clipboard?
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »
    Are you using Excel?
    Forgive me for my grammar, I am working on it.
    -theregkid

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert

perseus

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
      Thanks for the tips, but my problem had nothing to do with Excel, the message Cannot open clipboard came from TOAD and then it wasn't possible to use the clipboard anywhere, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V just didn't work even without the error message. Nevertheless, when it happens again I'll try to close IE8 or empty the temp folder or other tricks described in the underlying links.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
      You might try the Clipboard Manager gadget for Windows 7.  You can get it at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets.  However, it may be affected by the same glitch you've encountered with the standard clipboard.

The Clipboard Manager gadget retains multiple copy actions. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
      This happens if a program opens the clipboard, but never closes it. Until the clipboard is closed, no other application will be able to access the clipboard.

The Clipboard API and how applications use it is basically:

the clipboard can only be owned by a single application at a time. Typically, how a program pastes is to open the clipboard, retrieve the data, and insert it into the document. Then it closes the clipboard.

If a bug or other problem occurs that prevents an application from closing the clipboard for any reason- for example, maybe there is corrupted data and it throws an exception or an error occurs or some other logic error- it will keep the clipboard "owned" to itself, and any other application that tries to access it will not be given the clipboard handle.

To fix it, one "simply" needs to find out what application balls-up and close it. As part of the process termination, all open handles- which includes the clipboard handle it accidentally opened- are closed and destroyed.

On that note, I just slapped together a small program that hopefully can be used if the clipboard has this issue to finger the culprit.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.