Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No display.  (Read 2176 times)

Safety_First

No display.
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:14 AM »
Hey guys, I've been having this problem with my computer for quite some time: I turn it on but there is no display and the monitor just reads the standard "no signal" . I have no idea what has caused this but a few months ago I reset the CMOS on my motherboard which temporarily fixed the problem, a week later whilst playing games I noticed the fans on the computer would spin faster and then the display would cut out - I'm pretty sure there was a distinct humming noise too. The computer would only regain the display when I turned it off and back on again, eventually the computer reverted back to the original problem (no display at all) and now I have no idea.

What I've tried:
- Resetting the CMOS.
- Reseating the RAM.
- Reseating the GPU.
- Unplugged components piece by piece to see if I could find out what was causing the errror (no luck).
- Bought a new heatsink/fan for the CPU.
- Took apart the GPU, blew away the dust, applied a fresh layer of thermal paste to the chip inside.
- Different monitors.

The PC:
- Asus P5KC mobo.
- 8800GTS 512mb GPU.
- 4Gb DDR2 RAM.
- 500Gb Samsung HDD.
- Standard DVD RW.
- Core 2 Quad with Arctic Freezer heatsink.
- Windows Vista x64.
- OCZ 650w power supply.

Do you guys have any idea? I've put off buying a new GPU due to how expensive they are and the fact that from reading around the mobo could also be at fault or the power supply. I'm hoping that because the CMOS fixed it temporarily - will be a big giveaway as to what's causing the problem but I have no idea.

Additionally, all the fans spin/LEDs light up etc including the one on the GPU.

Thanks a lot.

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: No display.
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
    Can you borrow a monitor from someone and test it? Could also be the Graphics card failing.