Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard and CPU help  (Read 2366 times)

Chanelle Summer

Motherboard and CPU help
« on: September 22, 2005, 09:40:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

I don't know much about computers (I know the basics) and a friend of mine is just learning how to build a computer and needs help, so I thought I'd get on and ask the question for him, as he really needs to know.

It's about using the right CPU with the right motherboard. He's studying so he can build a computer, but he doesn't understand the compatability part, and reading his texbook, neither do I.

1. If someone has a motherboard that supports up to 900MHz, can they use a 1GHz CPU with it?

2. How about a 400MHz on and the same motherboard?

3. Can someone use a Slot 1 CPU with a socket type motherboard?

If anyone can answer these questions, it would be a big help. It's so confusing!

Chanelle

GX1_Man

Re: Motherboard and CPU help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:27:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

1. If someone has a motherboard that supports up to 900MHz, can they use a 1GHz CPU with it?

Chanelle

#1 - No
#2 - Probably Not
#3 - Definitely Not

Check the motherboard manual for proper and supported CPU's. Only these will work, and some jumpers or switches may need to be set to correctly identify the processor being used. You can damage your system with the wrong components. At best it will not work.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:46:48 AM »
I smell homework.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »
I smell homework.

I hope I didn't help withhomework. I thought I had left that behind me years ago!

Chanelle Summer

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 06:28:22 PM »
Thanks for your help.

I'll pass that on.

No, it's not 'homework' (he's 23, so I hope he's well past homework by now!lol) but like I said, he's studying to build a computer. He's doing it via correspondence, and so help wise it's very hard to ask a teacher or tutor for help when you don't have one! The questions I gave were an exercise in the textbook, and I thought if he could see the answers for them, it might help him. I was just sick of him bugging me for help, because I didn't understand any of it!

Cheers! Chanelle

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 04:35:35 AM »
Come back anytime, then.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 11:17:49 AM »

1.  Depends on the motherboard.
2.  Depends on the motherboard.
3.  No.  But the reverse is true, a Socket 370 can be used with a Slot 1 motherboard, with an adapter.