Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: the camera card reader  (Read 3861 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    the camera card reader
    « on: June 19, 2012, 07:47:51 AM »
    When I remove the card from the reader and re-insert it in the camera I know how to delete all images in the camera and have no problem obtaining the NO IMAGE message on the LED.

But if I re-insert the card on the reader after taking more photos, the computer monitor will show not only the photos I have just taken but also those that  I had deleted as well ! Why?

When the camera screen shows NO IMAGE, does not that mean that the card is now empty?

Grateful if you can help an oldage pensioner.

GUZEPPI
    GUZEPPI

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: the camera card reader
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
    But if I re-insert the card on the reader after taking more photos, the computer monitor will show not only the photos I have just taken but also those that  I had deleted as well ! Why?
    When you previously connected your card reader to your computer, you meant to copy/transfer your photos to your camera, right?  I assume so.  And then, when you connect your reader again, Windows opens the same folder you last transfered photos to and awaits your next action.   And, of course, you see the previously transferred photos there because they are on your hard drive.  Make sense?

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
      Many thks for prompt reply. Much appreciated. But plse let me clarify the problem, as I might not have been  clear enough so far.

Here goes:-

1. I insert card in the reader and the  computer monitor shows all photos I have just taken.

2. I copy the photos to MY PICTURES folder.

3. I remove the card from the reader and re-insert it in the camera.

4. I delete all the photos on the camera and the LED on the camera shows "NO IMAGE".

5. I take a few more photos and re-insert the card in the reader.

6. The computer monitor shows not only the few photos I have just taken but all the previous ones, that is, the ones I had deleted, as well.

7.  If I get you right, is this because the photos can be deleted on the camera but not on the card itself ?

Thank you again.

GUZEPPI, aged 74, oldage pensioner, former civil servant.
      GUZEPPI

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »

7.  If I get you right, is this because the photos can be deleted on the camera but not on the card itself ?

No, your photo memory card IS what the camera uses to store photos.  So, if you delete photos from the card, then you have removed them from the camera also.  But, deleting photos from your memory card does delete them from your computer.  Once you've copied photos to your computer, you need to take a separate action to delete them if you wish to do so.  Otherwise, they remain on your computer. 

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
        My renewed thks, as ever.

If you would pardon my insistence, considering that at my age I am slow on the uptake, do I get you right when I conclude that:-

1.  Photos deleted on the camera, in other words, deleted from the card are NOT deleted on the computer?  YES or NO?

2. Therefore, when the card is re-inserted in the reader, the  photos  deleted in the camera still show up on the computer?  YES or NO?
        GUZEPPI

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »
        1.  Photos deleted on the camera, in other words, deleted from the card are NOT deleted on the computer?  YES or NO?
        That's correct.  They are not deleted from the computer.

2. Therefore, when the card is re-inserted in the reader, the  photos  deleted in the camera still show up on the computer?  YES or NO?
        Yes.

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »
          That's quite clear to me now.

I renew my thanks for your kindness and patience.  May all the good things in life always come your way.

Grateful GUZEPPI
          GUZEPPI