Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with swapping hard drive and fresh XP install  (Read 3306 times)

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Need help with swapping hard drive and fresh XP install
    « on: July 11, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »
    Ok, I'm going to try to be concise here without making this too long. I have a HP a6110n Pavillion that I was having trouble with. It would power off when left to hibernate, and repeatedly when trying to reboot. I had the idea that I would just ditch the Pavillion instead of putting any more money or time into it because I have a HP xw4400 workstation sitting here, supposedly in good working order but missing a hard drive.

Since the Pavillion would stay on for several hours once I finally managed to get it up and running, I had planned on formatting the hard drive, putting the hard drive into the 4400 workstation, and doing a fresh install of Windows XP Pro. I started the formatting process and the Pavillion powered off in the middle of the format, and while I could get it to restart, I could not get it to stay powered on long enough to complete the format.

Anyway, I guess I didn't completely think this through and am now a lot less confident that I can pull this off. I haven't had to do a reformat or fresh install or had to work with DOS since I had Windows 95. Can anyone help me with some ideas on how to approach this? Is the fact that the hard drive is only partially formatted going to give me problems or can I just use fdisk once I get the hard drive installed into the 4400? I kind of need a step by step process, as my cold feet have left me not knowing exactly where to start.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need help with swapping hard drive and fresh XP install
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:20 AM »
    Welcome to CH.

The standard procedure is to just boot the XP CD and let it do the rest.
    During the install the setup program will repair any damage to the hard drive file system.; provided the drive does not have major physical issues.

lseese

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »
      OK, thanks. That's what I thought, but I started to panic a bit. I've been kicking around the idea of just getting a new hard drive, as the one that was in the Pavillion is pretty old.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:06 AM »
      OK, thanks. That's what I thought, but I started to panic a bit. I've been kicking around the idea of just getting a new hard drive, as the one that was in the Pavillion is pretty old.
      That is what I recommend.  A hard drive that works is better that anything else.