Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Insufficient permissions  (Read 4359 times)

kenmiles

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Insufficient permissions
    « on: July 29, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »
    Windows XP Home Edition - Google Chrome - desktop computer - I am sole user - Mecer Intel pentium P4 CRU - 3 GHz - 2 GB RAM - H.D. 75 GB - Used 25 GB. I am an Administrator. I can download any program but it won't run - msg. is "insufficient permissions". I suspect it is with the OS. I feel that reloading or re-installing Windows XP may solve the problem. It was O.K. till about 6 weeks ago, and I cannot recall if or when I made a boo-boo that caused this error.
    PROBLEM: The computer was a gift - internet paid for by a friend - I have no CD's at all, and cannot afford any. (I am a pensioner living in a Mission - pension US$150 per month ) I don't know anyone who will lend me a CD, and I am isolated to get anywhere. So what I think I need is step-by-step instructions as to how to repair or re-install Windows XP WITHOUT a CD of any nature. I am a novice so please treat me as a dummy. Thank you - Ken Miles

truenorth

Guru

Re: Insufficient permissions
      « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »
      Because of your reference to this being a recent phenomenum  and your avowed lack of computer knowledge i am providing a link to the Microsoft site for instructions on their "recovery" process for your operating system. This does not require any discs.Please read it and try it.If you have further questions please return and we will endeavor to help.truenorth
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Insufficient permissions
      « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
      Good afternoon kenmiles and welcome to CH

If the info that truenorth is giving you is 100% correct but you may not be aware of these other XP features (The info below is just for your knowledge and if all else fails). Out of curiosity do you have any important items (like pictures, word documents etc) that you would want to save. Considering where you are I don't know if you have access too or can borrow a external hard drive or some kind of storage medium to do so. "Doing this is a just in case" Plus if you do have to do a complete re-install please keep in mind that a LOT of bandwidth will be needed to reinstall all service packs / hot fixes / security updates etc. Plus you need AV (either free or paid). These windows updates will depend on what service pack is installed can be in 100's to update the PC.       

Now this is just in case you have to do a fresh install and not using a "restore point" (this can be done with out XP disks so long as the hidden partition is in place) On Some PC manufacture's like Dell, HP, Compaq etc have a small hidden partition to re-install the PC if nothing else works to start this will very from PC manufacture to manufacture.

Like a lot of Dell's during the boot of the PC you would see a "blue bar" up top and you would push and hold the "crtl" key keep on tapping the "F11" and just follow the prompts during the option boxes that come up just pick the one that states "restore pc to factory setting" it will tell you to make sure this is what you ant to do and to have a back up of all data.

For a lot of HP's when you turn on the PC and just after the HP logo appears keep on tapping the "F10"  key and Select one of the following procedures, depending on which recovery type you want to perform:

To perform a standard system recovery, click Next , and then click Yes . (this one is for re-installing app's and fixing windows)
          To perform a destructive recovery, click Advanced , (select Destructive Recovery ) and then click Next. The "destructive" is not as bad as you think but it will delete all your stuff and restore the PC to factory settings.

But just as truenorth pointed out the MS link will guide you thru the steps to "using restore points" this is a great feature if like say the PC was running OK like say a week ago or even further. Using this keep ALL your personal doc's, pic's etc in-place and not touched. Not to mention using this is a LOT quicker (time wise) and headache wise. If for some reason you do not have access to that web site please come back and let us know so we can put the needed info here for you.

What I am writing here looks and sounds worse than it really is. If you can give us the model of PC (i.e Dell Dimension E521 or a HP DV9000) we can help you in more detail if the link truenorth has given you is not available and if you need to do a fresh install or if you have any questions.

Please let us know if we can help or answer any more questions, Mike   

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?