Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer browses slow on any browser  (Read 3966 times)

Mdmartin101

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer browses slow on any browser
    « on: July 26, 2012, 07:16:08 PM »
    Hi! I've been looking for help with my computer. I'm not the best with computers, but I'm not a geezer either.

For the past few months my computer has been getting very sluggish while browsing the internet. I've ruled out malware, viruses, and registry issues as I've used various cleaners and anti-virus scanners. My regular day-to-day software is Microsoft Security Essentials however I have gone through periods with AVG and Malwarebytes.

Many people have suggested that it may just be Firefox, however Internet Explorer and Safari both proved to be just as slow. People have suggested that certain Add-Ons may lead to the browser slowing, however I have very few and as I mentioned the same went for other browsers.

I thought it may have been a memory issue so I've tried to reduce the amount of memory I use. I have an add-on that reduces the amount of memory Firefox will use in total, as well as using Add-block Plus and an add-on that doesn't activate Flash on a page until I click on the item that needs to use it.

I've ruled out the memory issue though considering I have 3GB of RAM on my Laptop and the only big programs that I usually have running that would take a lot is Firefox and Itunes. However I've seen computers with a lot less memory handle both of those programs and more.

Additionally I've switched many of the visual features of Windows 7 off, for more of a windows classic look. Again, I don't think this is a memory issue so this hasn't done anything major.

It's not a lack of space for files, I have 88.7 free of 148GB on my C Drive.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

The laptop I'm using is a Dell Inspiron 1545. It's a few years old and has been taken care of for the most part, regularly cleaning the vents and such. I'm wondering if it's just getting old at this point and that's why, but it's only three or four years old so I don't think that can be the reason.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer browses slow on any browser
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
    Good evening Mdmartin101 and welcome to CH

You have been busy and possibly eliminated issues maybe.

I do have a couple of suggestions

#1... Just for testing have you disabled MSE firewall to see if the issue is still present. (please re-enable after testing)   
    #2... I know you stated this issue is with all browser(s) is there a add-on that is common in the browsers like a filter / secure web browsing sites?
    #3... What is your internet connection. Dial-up, Sat, IDSN, Cable, DSL
    #4... Restart the PC and before you go on line start the "task manager" this can be done by right clicking in the task bar and look for task manager. Then while that is running open a browser go online and see if the CPU goes high?
    $5... are you sure all old AV have been removed.

hope to hear from you soon, Mike 
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer browses slow on any browser
    « Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:19:54 PM »
    Have you tried both wired and wireless if available on your network setup? What is your connection speed and try running speedtest here -> http://www.speedtest.net/ Please post the results on both wired and wireless if possible.