Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pentium EE? Abit NI8-SLI  (Read 4244 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Pentium EE? Abit NI8-SLI
« on: September 02, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
I gave my friend in Canada this good working motherboard as an upgrade to the Pentium 4 1.5Ghz he was running before. I gave him a Pentium D 3.0Ghz socket 775 CPU which ran perfect in this board. I upgraded one of my systems and have a hand-me-down CPU to give him, but wanted to make sure this motherboard would take the CPU without any problems before going thru the trouble of shipping it from USA to Canada and having him then go through the process of CPU swap.

The CPU I am going to give him is an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz/ 2MB Cache/ 800Mhz FSB ( aka E4300 ) which benchmarks with a score that is 20% better than the Pentium D 3.0Ghz and should also run cooler operating at 1.8Ghz vs 3.0 Ghz.

I found a reference to Newegg selling this board way back when I bought it years ago, and I am trying to figure out if Pentium EE that they have listed is E series ( such as E4300 ) would run fine in it? Never seen a reference to Pentium EE before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127226

Computer_Commando

Hacker
Re: Pentium EE? Abit NI8-SLI
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
Abit doesn't specify supported cpu's for that motherboard, nothing in the manual, either.  Stick with the Pentium D.  That's what I have, it runs cooler than my older Pentium 4.

http://abit.ws/page/en/download/download_manual_detail.php@pFILE_TYPE=Manual&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=NI8-SLI+GR&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

CPU
• Designed for Intel® Pentium 4 LGA775 processor with 1066/800 MHz FSB
• Supports Intel® Hyper-Threading / XD-bit / EM64T Technology
• Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep Technology

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
Good evening Computer_Commando

It is a 50 / 50 shot. You are right they do run cooler and faster and on certain MoBo's I do know that they do OC very well.

Just in case you may not be aware of it when Intel talks about EE, that just means Extreme Edition not the E series CPU.

Theatrically that chipset that is on the MoBo that you gave him does support dual core cpu's and it may work but just like Computer_Commando I wasn't having a lot of luck getting a yes or no for support. But on the plus side abit does have a BIOS update (only states for Cedar Mill CPU) if you guys decide to try it if the CPU doesn't work.

I as all over Intel's CPU charts, Goggling, The MoBo manual etc for hours.

Sorry I was hoping that I would have a better answer, Mike 
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:38:33 AM »
I have to agree, 50/50 shot.  My Pentium D-925 runs right around 30degC, Max of 40degC, with the Intel CPU cooler.  I don't think a Core2-Duo would run any cooler, so I don't intend on upgrading the CPU for a 20% "on paper" speed improvement.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
Thanks for everyone's efforts on this hard to answer question. I have the manual in PDF format and it only talks about P4 as well even though I ran the Pentium D in it for almost 6 years owning it, as for when i bought it thru Newegg the Pentium D was the most power I could afford to put into it at the time.

I did see a mention in the PDF manual that states Dual Cores not supported, but "Not Supported" sometimes means that it may work but they don't offer support for it as if it may not have been stress tested under dual-core CPU's.

I guess I am going to offer the CPU to my friend to take a try at it if he wants it. Its less than $5 to ship it to Canada. Compared to his Pentium 4 1.5Ghz this Pentium D 3.0Ghz is far better for gaming. Prior to giving him this Motherboard, CPU, GeForce 7800GT 256MB PCIe, and 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 Ram I tested it with MoP beta for World of Warcraft, so he should be all set just sticking with the Pentium D if that's what he chooses to do. The Pentium 4 1.5Ghz and GeForce 6200 AGP (4 or 8x ) 256MB he was running with 1GB of Ram was breaking a sweat trying to run World of Warcraft and XP Home OS on lowest graphic settings and 12 frames per second. The hardware I gave him allowed for Good Settings with 20 to 30 FPS vs having to run in POOR mode on the old P4 that he had been doing out of desperation to play the game.

He ended up surprising me by sending me a 60-day WoW game card as even exchange for this even though I didn't need to be paid for it. I like to help out friends who cant afford newer computer hardware and its my hand-me-downs going to use vs landfill. * Maybe computer hope should add a tab for up for grabs hardware  ;D ( Good 'older' Hardware looking for Good Home ) LOL

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:36 PM »
Good evening DaveLembke

You know what that is a great idea  ;D ;D kudos

If something like this does happen I too end up with all kinds of equipment including MFP laser printers, LCD's, MoBo etc etc.

If someone needs parts or complete laser printers please let me know.

Once again, great idea. Enjoy Mike
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?