Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive  (Read 2884 times)

clnie3

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    hard drive
    « on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
    I was installing wincleaner one click .I left it to installed came back and the hard drive was running hard . I shut down ( improper way). Booted back up and it was working. I left and for short minute and the power light was blinking did not come back up . I took the power source in and had it tested and that came out OK. they said try to take out one stick of the ram and make sure . I booted up and the screen came up boot to CD. when I putting the power source back together I did not plug the hard drive to it . It will boot if i do not have the hard drive once i plug the hard drive it would not to anything .This is my operating system vista . my question is if i replace the hard drive as that seems to be the issue and gateway CD is operating system disk will this put vista back , I know that i will not have anything on that hard drive as I will be replacing  just want a running system. see attached information on the system.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:33 PM »
    The old hard drive may be perfectly good.  You could try a repair install.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Test the hard drive with the drive maker's tools:  http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
    And i'd get my money back from wincleaner in the meantime...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 02:11:10 PM »
    Doesn't seem to do any more than Ccleaner does for free, except crash your machine for $30.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
    Doesn't seem to do any more than Ccleaner does for free, except crash your machine for $30.
    A lot of people spend a LOT more for high-end software that crashes their systems.  When you think about it, $30 is pretty cheap for a crash ;D

clnie3

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
      tool that you are talking about do I download on a good computer and install on the bad. also the wincleaner came with anti virus program vipre. not sure if that was the cause of the crash as a beginner not sure . Thank you for your help greatly appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »
      Yes, just download that file and create a bootable cd. Then boot to that cd on the computer in question and run the diagnostic.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
      Not questioning your judgement at all on product choices...that's not what we do here.

That being said i've never seen either of those products recommended here...and it's a pretty active Forum base.

Therefore here's a protection package for you after you get things sorted...

Anti Virus::

Test one at a time to see which you prefer ...but only select one you decide on...

AVG
      Avast
      Microsoft Security Essentials

Again try all 3 and decide on only one...it's a matter of personal preference for most...all are good and effective.

Then add the following to you protection package::

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
      SuperAnti-Spyware
      CCleaner
      Win Patrol

The beauty of this setup is that it is all Free...and regularly recommended here.

NOTE: The A/V apps listed can be set to update automatically...and 2 of the 3 can be scheduled to run ay certain intervals.

The other tools listed need to be manually updated...and ran by the User.
      Depending on net usage once every 2 weeks should be sufficient.

Best of Luck...
      Any questions feel free to Post back.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

clnie3

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:36:03 PM »
        I put the bootable disk and the hard drive is working kinda. in order to start the computer   I have the hard drive plug in it will not boot. I unplug and once booted i plug the hard drive in and it boot up to windows.The problem is it does not recognize the mouse. I use the keyboard but it is not functioning correctly .once i shut down all the way  down and start back up it will not boot up unless the hard drive is not plug in.