Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stupid Question of mine  (Read 11031 times)

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Stupid Question of mine
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
how can i access files on my pendrive when i plug it into the usb port of a server running ubuntu server 12.04 lts?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Stupid Question of mine
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »
I have no comment on whether or not the question is stupid, but in the future please give your threads a subject related to the question. Thank you.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
I don't know exactly how ubuntu server is different from ubuntu desktop, but a mounted storage device should show up on the desktop (or whatever server uses to list storage). If it's not mounted, you'll have to, well, mount it. I've never actually had to mount a drive manually before, so I have no idea exactly how to do that. On a related not, what file system is the thumb drive?

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 10:32:50 PM »
You have to mount it manually. In general, assuming it's the only USB storage device you would mount it this way (comments preceded with #)

#Make a directory to mount it
mkdir /tmp/flashdrive
#Mount drive
mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/flashdrive

If that completes with no errors, then it's mounted to /tmp/flashdrive and you can see the files there. If you're not comfortable with the command-line, you'll need to install a GUI with a file manager. For servers, you want to keep it light so I'd suggest fluxbox w/ thunar.
Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
Serving Eugene, OR
http://www.calltheninja.com

TechnoGeek

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
You have to mount it manually. In general, assuming it's the only USB storage device you would mount it this way (comments preceded with #)

#Make a directory to mount it
mkdir /tmp/flashdrive
#Mount drive
mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/flashdrive

That's exactly what I was thinking of :)
Note that depending on your exact configuration (particularly how many drives, partitions, etc. you have on your server), it may not necessarily be sdb1 but (for example) sde1. There should be a command to list devices (similar to the windows diskpart).

ninjatex

Beginner

• Call The Ninja
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:40:22 AM »
True, mounting can be tricky if you don't have a device list. There's some good discussion of this problem over at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

Try running the command
Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l which will tell you which device to mount.
Senior Technician at Call The Ninja Computer Repair
Serving Eugene, OR
http://www.calltheninja.com