Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable To Copy And Paste URL's  (Read 13159 times)

sktrsmw

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Unable To Copy And Paste URL's
    « on: January 18, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
    I have Windows xp and for months I have been unable to normally copy and paste links to pages,..unless I right click on the Properties and then click Copy. Only then can I paste the link.

I never had any issues until my computer crashed about 4 months back and we had to reload Windows.

I have googled this problem and found no answers.

It is really a huge pain that I am unable to go to my browser window and copy the url to paste elsewhere. When I try to do this and go to paste,..there is a blank. Nothing pastes.

As I said earlier,..the only way that I can copy and paste urls,.is to go to Properties and copy it there.

For the most part I am able to copy and paste print on pages,..but not urls in browsers. Help!

Thanks!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Unable To Copy And Paste URL's
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »
    "Properties" where?  What browser are you using?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
    And what app is being used to create these pages ? ? Word? Wordpad ? Other ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sktrsmw

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »
      I am using Internet Explorer. I will right click on a page and then click onto the Properties in order to be able to copy a url. When I click onto the url in the browser and highlight it, I try to copy it and it appears that I do,...but when I go to another page to Paste it,..it will not paste anything.
      As far as "what app is being used"....I am not using an app,..but simply using my computer normally.
      I simply have lost the ability to use my normal copy and paste function, and can not figure out WHY.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »
      I still don't get it...are ypu pasting it into the address bar and hitting Enter ? ?
      That should work...
      What happens if you simply click on the link ? ?
      You can set IE...or any other browser to open any link in a new window.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sktrsmw

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:02:54 AM »
        Ok,...I will try to be clearer in what my problem is. Let's say that I want to send  a link to a YouTube video to a friend of mine in an email. The normal course would be for me to go to the page of the video,..place my mouse on the browser url,..highlight it,..and then right-click Copy.  I then go to my email and in the email I go to Paste,...and NOTHING is pasted. I am not able to Copy and Paste URL's from browsers.
        If I go back to the page and right click my mouse and get the Properties, the box will appear and I have to copy the Address url and then go back to my email, before it will Paste. That is the ONLY way that I can Copy and Paste url's. My question is WHY have I lost the ability to Copy and Paste a url from a browser?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »
        Try these :
        Go to IE Tools - Internet Options - Security tab - Custom Level ( Internet highlight) - Scroll down and look for Drag and drop or copy and paste files. Hit Ok, Apply - Ok.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
          What happens if you use this method.
          1.Highlight the URL to be copied.
          2.together click on "control/C" on the keyboard
          3.open whatever it is you want to copy the URL to (new browser window/e-mail content/whatever
          4.Place your cursor(mouse) wherever you want to place the copied URL (ensure you see the cursor there).Click the left mouse key to place the cursor there.
          5.click together "control/V on the keyboard
          6.Your copied URL should appear.
          truenorth