Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer connection on XP  (Read 2782 times)

KAJE

Topic Starter

Rookie

Printer connection on XP
    « on: February 06, 2013, 04:33:12 AM »
    How can i access a printer on a lan from my windows xp loaded computer?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Printer connection on XP
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:07:35 PM »
    Depends on how it is connected on the LAN. Is it connected directly to Cat5 or Wifi network connection or is it shared through another computer on the LAN?

If its directly connected to the LAN you just need to know what the IP Address is of the printer and then manually install printer following this process: http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.network.printer.html

If its connected via a share from another computer you can find the shared printer on your LAN and then connect to it.

Be sure to have the drivers ready on CD, DVD, or downloaded off the internet to associate with the printer you are installing, as for using the default drivers that Windows may associate with this printer might not work or might work with strange results. I like to use the drivers from the manufacturer and perform corporate driver install vs the full package with unnecessary features and services to my needs.

KAJE

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Printer connection on XP
      « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
      thanx alot indeed i got the drivers cd and it worked perfectly