Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop Monitor shuts off randomly?  (Read 2961 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Desktop Monitor shuts off randomly?
    « on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »
    Hey, so I have an HP Monitor for my desktop, and i've had it awhile.

As of the past couple of days, I'll be using it and it'll shut off randomly. It wont turn back on, so I wiggle with the connections and if Im lucky, I can press the power button again and it'll come on. The rest of my PC doesn't have issues when this happens, just the monitor.

I try to make sure its tightly connected (as much as I can because the design of this thing sucks for connections)
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Desktop Monitor shuts off randomly?
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
    Have you confirmed that it is in fact an intermittent connection? That is have you tried just turning monitor back on without touching cables and does it come back on?

If it is an intermittent connection, I would add a strain relief to the power cable so that it doesnt creep out of the connection, as well as would perform cable management if the wires are in a place where they can get tugged by feet etc. I have seen all sorts of ways to add strain reliefs for power cords for monitors. Some people will duct tape the power cable to the desk surface behind the monitor etc while others wrap the power cord once around the base/stand of the monitor so that any tugs would be placed to the base/stand vs directly to power jack.

If monitor is shutting itself off and its not intermittent connection, then its time for a new display.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Desktop Monitor shuts off randomly?
      « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
      Im pretty sure its the cables. Next time it happens I'll re-check.

I never tug the cords for it, however, as thats in the far back of my desk and I dont really use the desk because the keyboard holder is broken (I have a small kind of TV dinner style stand infront of my dresser [at a 90 degree angle to the PC] that I keep my keyboard on, my feet dont touch the cables or anything).

Since I got this PC, I've always hated this monitor, and it's kind of a pain with its cables.

Its this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176161

The cable has to be angled to plug in, it angles upwards (with not alot of room) and doesn't enter the port very well, it never has.
      Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)